Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help! Because I am doing a HORRIBLE job at it. I keep adding and there is no thinning going on!

Should I take stuff out, pack it away and see how it goes without it? Should I cycle through more and switch stuff out every couple of weeks? Should I pare it down to the bare minimum? A comfortable minimum? Should I list it on the TP and rip that damn band aid off?

Oh and convince me to let go of some of my wool. We are doing the coverless thing almost 100% and my poor wool is feeling sad and lonely. But how in the world do I choose what stays and what goes? I like having a wool cover for every single outfit Kai may wear :LOL

And does anyone else find they put something away to sell or whatever and then when they ask their 3-year-old to bring them a diapre and he brings them the VERY SAME diaper they were going to sell and then put it on their darling little diapered one, it fits oh so lovely and maybe you don't want to sell it afterall?

· Registered
3,709 Posts
When I thin out I just go grab the diapers that I use the very least and list them..Out of all the times I have done this I have never missed anything I have sold. I always thought I would miss stuff before hand but once it was all shipped out I have never had a regret.

I have a suggestion where you could start

:LOL

· Registered
1,943 Posts
I start with the ones on the bottom that just aren't getting used, then pile them on the 'puter desk so they won't get snatched for a changing. Tho now I also have to decide if I love them well enough to save for the next babe or not.

· Registered
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by katytheprincess2
When I thin out I just go grab the diapers that I use the very least and list them..Out of all the times I have done this I have never missed anything I have sold. I always thought I would miss stuff before hand but once it was all shipped out I have never had a regret.
Ok, good idea! I think I will do this tomorrow. Have you done the same with wool?

Quote:

Originally Posted by katytheprincess2

I have a suggestion where you could start

:LOL
oooooh yes, I know you do! :LOL
backatcha!

Did you get that AIO in? How's the condition?

· Registered
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarwoman
First, I stop buying things.

Hmmmm... I have heard of this thing you call "Not buying". I may have to look into that!

· Registered
346 Posts
I have the same problem - I'm holding on to diapers that will not go around Car's thunder thighs, but I keep hoping she'll slim down. She has a little bit in the past month, but still not enough. : (

I also keep telling myself that in order to buy a new dipe, I need to sell an old one - but then I go ahead and buy the new one, and say I'll sell one later - and never get around to it.

· Registered
4,933 Posts
I've done this in the past:

I will fold my diapers and keep them in the laundry basket. I will continue to use the diapers on the shelves until I just have to grab out of the basket. That tells me what I need and what I don't use. Prefolds don't count in this because I should always be able to use prefolds for some use around the house.

I'm pretty uniform right now.

· Registered
4,208 Posts
I decided which diapers that I like the absolute best on Gemma, and then I listed EVERYTHING else. (You know I did -- you saw the list! :LOL) The diapers I am still using are not as numerous as I would like them to be, so I am still buying, but I am only buying those favorites. (Well, and perhaps trying one or two new things.
) If something doesn't fit just right, or you're not completely 100% happy with it, just list it! And don't look back.

Now wool, that's another story. I have so much freakin' wool, and I can hardly bring myself to part with any of it. I don't know what to tell you there. :LOL

· Registered
1,115 Posts
I thinned out a few weeks ago. I knew I had about a dozen diapers we weren't using. Someone on TP had an ISO. As luck would have it she took everything I was thinking of selling. I am so happy I did it and I don't miss a single diaper I sold.

· Registered
3,709 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spatulagirl
Ok, good idea! I think I will do this tomorrow. Have you done the same with wool?

Yup just did this with my wool last week

oooooh yes, I know you do! :LOL
backatcha!

Did you get that AIO in? How's the condition?

It was mailed on Friday so it should be here tomorrow...I will LYK...But seriously if you decide to unload any MM fluff please please please from the bottom of my heart LMK

· Registered
5,777 Posts
I am sooo bad at thinning. I just did one huge perge and then started from scratch, which I dont recommend - its a lot of work and then you dont have enough to get through from the time you send them out til when you get the new stuff.

So no good advice here - but you know I AM having a girl so if you decide you need to get rid of any great girly wool - well you know where to find me

· Registered
2,498 Posts
If it's not fitting right anymore or not being used, I sell it. Then I use that money to try something new!

Then I have been saving a few diapers here and there for sentimental reasons. Each kid has a memory box and I keep them in there. So when they are all grown-up they will have diapers that were special for them.

· Registered
2,633 Posts
I have been slowly thinning, but still need to thin a lot more. I started by paying more attention to what I actually grab most often and realized that there were a lot of gorgeous diapers that just didn't fit my ds right that I never used. I haven't regretted most of what I've sold, I forget about them almost immediately. My problem is the same as your's though, where I keep making a purchase here and there, so not reducing as much as I should be. I am trying hard to ask myself if I need an item or just want it. Seriously, diaper buying has become a crutch for me and I really want to move on.

· Registered
6,036 Posts
Well, I'm in week 1 of the 2 week trial period. I'd say box everything up you don't absolutely love/use often and put it away for a couple of weeks. If you find yourself missing something then maybe reevaluate, but try to go the full 2 weeks w/o looking in the box or using anything out of it. I just got back home last night from a 4 day/3 night trip and all I took was wool, pf's and 2 WIO's w/ inserts. It worked great, so now I know I can travel w/o fitteds, too. Now we'll see what happens next week when it's time to sell everything! Now I know that I don't *need* it to be able to cd, but I don't know yet if I can live w/o it! :LOL

oh..and add me to the list of intrerested wool buyers!

· Registered
16,471 Posts
My rule is that I only buy enough to fit in my super capacity plus washing machine, plus 8-10 for her to wear while the others are washing. For me that's 24 standard prefolds and 18 FB's with microterry inserts.
There's no sense having more than I can wash in one load.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.