Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about soup, but that's about it. Does anyone have any delicious miso recipes to share??

Also - what's the best type of miso to get for a beginner? My head was swirling from all the choices. I picked a sweet orangey colored chickpea miso. At $10 per jar, I can't afford to experiment.

here's what I did with it - I put a glop of it in the blender with a garlic clove and about 6oz of tofu and blended it up. I added a little water to thin it slightly, and then added salt and pepper to taste. I've been eating it on toasted bagels with bean sprouts and tomato for breakfast. It's good! Now I need more ideas.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I use miso all the time. I use it in just about any soup - it gives a kind of sweet/salty taste. Use less salt than usual in your soup and then after soup is cooked, Mix a tablespoon or two with water to make a paste and then stir it into your soup. You can also so this with gravies. (Just make sure you add it at end so you don't boil the miso). I also use them to season mashed potatoes.

Here are a couple of other recipes:

Garbanzo Bean Salad with Creamy Mint Dressing
This salad will keep in the refrigerator for several days and is perfect for a lunch or snack.

2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
1 large carrot, shredded
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup minced parsley

Creamy Mint Dressing:
1 tablespoon light miso
1 tablespoon tahini
3 tablespoons lemon juice (1 small lemon)
1/4 cup bean cooking water or plain water
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup fresh peppermint leaves

Place garbanzo beans, carrot, brown rice, and parsley in large bowl. Puree dressing ingredients together in blender. Pour over salad and toss until evenly coated. Chill at least one hour before serving.

Makes 6 servings

Tahini-Miso Sauce
This white sauce is great over tempeh, vegetables, grains, or pasta.

1 cup water
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1/4 cup tahini
1 tablespoons miso
Pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (optional)
Black pepper to taste

Whisk or blend all ingredients together. Pour into saucepan. Heat over low heat until thickened.

Makes about 1 cup

·
Registered
469 Posts
i love adding tahini to miso sauce, too-- in addition to the other ingredients that have been mentioned. it gives it some weight.
by the way, i lovelovelove chickpea miso. i haven't been able to get it for a few years where i've lived. for a while it was my pms treat to help me get off velveeta (i know! don't tell anyone!). i ate it straight with sprouted grain tortillas i remember thinking that the red miso smelled like catfish bait
when i first discovered miso (it was soo strong), so i'd recommend beginners start with chickpea, white and yellow.

i know cooking miso should be avoided, but there's a japanese(?) recipe where miso is spread on skewered tofu and broiled. rich! there's a cookbook called the miso book or the book of miso that you should be able to find cheap on amazon.

a cold morning is a great time for miso soup! yum

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
there is an awesome recipe for potato salad that uses miso in one of the Moosewood Collective cookbooks... i think it's the Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special. definitely books worth checking out, even if you can't find that particular recipe.

i adore the kick it gives the potato salad. forewarning: my SO found it to be a little much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.