Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to CDing and have been getting my cute fluff in the mail (some new and used)
I know I should wash everything before having to use, but I have no idea on what to do. I have a mix of fitteds, AIOs, and proraps. Hope someone can help me out thx!

TT

Do I wash everything on hot with a 1/4 cup detergent?
How many times should I wash everything before using?
How can I tell if a used diaper needs to be stripped?
Can used diapers be made soft again?
Do new diapers bleed?
Must I line dry everything?
Anything else I need to do?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I don't know. Mostly the washing is to get the diapers to a very absorbant state. You're going to have a new little baby--who will likely not have enormous amounts of pee. You could likely get away with washing once or twice with 1/4 the detergent. Then, each time you wash them when theyr'e used, they'll become more and more absorbant. My daughter doesn't wet a lot at once.. and I only wash my diapers once before using--except prefolds.. which I use the 'prewash' option offered by the person I buy them from.

The used ones.. probably don't need to be washed many times, as they're already likely reached their more absorbant state.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Do I wash everything on hot with a 1/4 cup detergent?
I do - neverheard the "dont wash cotton and fleece together" tho

How many times should I wash everything before using?If it's hemp, wash 4-5 times if it has snap or do a shortcut if it doesnt (like insert - joeybunz for pocketdipes), boil several at a time for abt 20 min then wash a couple of times. Unbleached prefolds also have to be washed/boiled several times. Also, dry btwn each wash for best effect. Everything else, like plain cotton or sherpa can be washed once then worn

How can I tell if a used diaper needs to be stripped?After having an absorbant dipe, you;ll know. Like if it's fleece topped, it'll repel. Meaning babys skin feels wet after 1-2 pees and sometimes it will feel wet around leg or on clothes

Can used diapers be made soft again?
Yep, downy advance baby! This stuff rocks!!! But don't use it on fleece, it causes it to repel, but for cotton and hemp it will work wonders on a crunchy dipe! Use it maybe 1 a wk or so if you like

Do new diapers bleed?
Some, if they are handdyed they can. Most wahms take pains to make sure they dont tho.

Must I line dry everything?
No, but it will help keep them stain free and I bet will help prevent stinky hemp. A lot of mama's line dry their fuzzibunz, I don't tho.

Anything else I need to do?
not that I can think of

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.