Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next year ds1 will be of K age, and I'm a little unsure of how he will fit into our current homeschooling life with dd (7). Thinking back to dd's 'kindergarten' year, we didn't do anything structured. This year we did a few more structured activities with her - handwriting and math mostly. Next year a friend and I are thinking about doing a more structured history curriculum (like Story of the World) together. I'm wondering how a K-aged child will fit into that, or will they? I don't know what to expect from mixed-age groups like that, or how to structure the group so that everyone gets something out of it. Or, should I just not worry about it, expect all ages to participate, and let them get what they may out of the experience?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
You will probably just need to try different things and see what works.

I have a 7yo and 5yo and a 10mos old baby too...my oldest often read independently while I work on math with dd2 although sometimes she joins in if it is an interactive game. My dd2 usually draws or plays quietly while I work on math with dd1. Other than that most of our work is all together...I read out loud usually when the baby is sleeping but sometimes with him. Dd1 read stories to the baby. The girls play violin when Ds3 is awake.
It takes some trial and error to see what works and it seems to change over time too.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I'm about a year behind you, with an almost 6 year old, a 4.5 year old and a 1.5 year old. Next year, my 4.5 year old will do the read-alouds through our Sonlight curriculum (includes history, geography and good ol' literature) along with us. I know she won't absorb as much as my 6 yr old, but I think it will still be worthwhile (just like I think you should simply include your 5 yr old in reading SOTW - he'll still get plenty out of it.) She'll also do science along with us. We won't be doing any math or LA though. I think you'd have a much tougher time combining it all if you were a very structured mama. But it sounds like you're pretty laid back and don't expect too much of him next year. It'll probably work out fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When ds was kindergarden age I didn't do any formal schooling with him at all. I figured at that age it was more important for him to have lots of free play time and outside time. He has tons of building toys (K'nex, Magnatiles, Lincoln Logs, Legos, etc.) and we played a lot of board games, but nothing formal. Even in Gr. 1 he gets tons of freetime still.

It was a bit of a juggling act to figure out how to school both my kids at different grade levels this year, but we've found a pretty good groove. I do one-on-one work with ds 3 days/wk. in the morning for about an hour and that is all we need to cover the three Rs. In the afternoons I do literature reading, science and history together with both children and just cater it to their level which usually means that dd reads extra material I get from the library (she loves to read so this isn't considered work to her at all).

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. I think people are right who say you figure it out as you go...I think I struggle, however, with the contrast between what I expected from dc1 as a kindergartner - not much - and the plans I am making, which would be quite a different tune for dc2 as a a kindergartner.

I'd love to hear about other's experiences though - this is very helpful.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
my kids will be in grades K & 2nd next year. my son will be 5 1/2 and my dd almost 8. i plan to keep their core subjects together & keep their math and language arts separate. hth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.