Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe i'm being confused by the 26 month old that we playdate with, but how well should a 20/21 month old be communicating? the 26 month old can actually converse with me while my ds is pretty much a one-word at a time kind of kid and there's alot that he doesn't communicate, IMO. for example, he won't answer with yes or no to questions like "are you hungry?". should he be at this point? his vocabulary is HUGE, but he's not stringing a whole lot together. it's more of a "mommy! airplane!" and pointing.
what is/did your 20/21 month old do in the communication department?
TIA!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
DS is 22 months and doesn't string anything together yet. I know he understands everything we tell him and he follows directions well. I can understand what he's saying most of the time, but at this point, it's still scattered words and mostly the inflection in his voice that he uses to "talk" to me.
Every kid is different - I saw a littl girl at the park the other day who was a couple months older than DS and just yacking away with her mom

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
My 20 month old is a one word kind a girl. She does say yes and no when I ask her, though sometimes she confuses the two and then melts down because I didn't do what she really ment. She says a lot of words but also has a lot of babble, so she'll come up to me and say "Blee Uh Bo Daddy" No clue what she's really talking about except daddy is somehow involved, lol.

The only words she currently puts together are "daddy work" to let me know that daddy is indeed at work.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
My 22 month old is just starting to string a couple of words together now. Most of her communication is one word commands "Help" "Up" "Mine" etc. She's doing great at "Please" and "Thank You". There is a lot of babbling in there too.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all...i feel much better. i sometimes just think i forget that they're 6 months apart and that that's HUGE in toddler time!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
My 26 month old doesn't string barely any words together and only has about a dozen words he uses from time to time. He is my strong, silent type that sees little value in verbal communication...

There are many differences all over the page, so it is hard to tell what is "normal" -- my mantra has become "Is he happy, healthy, bright, responsive, well fed, and learning new things? Yup? He's fine."

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ds is 23 months and has been speaking in complete sentences for about 4 months now....I think it's partially because we did signs with him (he started at about 6 months and knew around 100 signs by the time he was 12 months) and have read to him since he was born, every day, a lot...being read to is one of his favorite things to do. And he's never watched television. And we've always talked to him a lot. They all develop in their own time and in their own ways. Watching them learn and develop new skills is such an amazing thing to witness!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
What you described sounds about right for a 20/21 mth old IMO. Sounds about like my ds at that age (he's almost 28 mths now). It sounds like he's doing a great deal of communicating and is good at it for his age. I think you'll be surprised by the leaps his vocab takes in the next 3-5 months. A mom I know told me this when I was wondering the same thing 6 mths ago and she was right!!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
My little guy is about that age and he can say some things. Like "help me, help me" (which I never tire of hearing
) and "where are you" but other than that he is just using one word at a time.

Phone calls are pretty funny with him. They consist of "Hi, Daddy" (doesn't matter who he is talking too) "yeah" (doesn't matter what they ask him) and "Bye Daddy"

Kids all develop at their own rate. Your son sounds like he is doing very well.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The only "sentences" my 19 almost 20 month old DS says are: "poo-poo is yucky" and "what's that?" I think the development will come!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
At 20 months DS was stringing together one word at a time sentences --
like you said... blue... book... read...?

But LOOK OUT -- by 24 months he is bossing everyone around LOUD & CLEAR... and knows very complex words, full sentences, jokes, all the letters, colors, shapes, some spanish, songs, continents on the map, types of fish, types of boats...
:

Hold on to your hat, your babe is right on track and will start to amaze you!

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Sounds perfect to me! (And hey, I'm a bona fide expert in the field, so I must be right
).

Different strategies for different kids. There are actually two "documented" strategies -- kids who start small, learn words and then build sentences and kids who start with whole phrases and fill in the bits later.

Our son was very much a "learn a lot of words, then work on sentences" kind of kid. He didn't combine words until 24-25 months. He had a huge vocabulary (well over 500 words, I know because I recorded them, and their pronunciation until he was 25 months!) He could get his point across just fine. He didn't say 'yes' until late, and actually didn't say "no" until much later! He then went to lovely 2 word phrases, then 3, and then many word.

Our dd on the other hand seems to be more of a "whole phrase" learner. Some of her first "words" were things like 'where are you?' (wa a ooo?) with perfect intonation. She was combining words (productively, not just in little phrases like this) at 20 months (give or take a month -- oh gosh, I forget and she's only 26 months now!!!) By now, she's well into 'conversational' kinds of language too -- "I wanna go outside" "Tommy fell down. Bandaid on knees. Tommy cry." "Daddy's turn put Tommy bed. Mommy's turn do Maria."

But despite this difference, I don't think her language is any more advanced than her brother's was at the same age. She just has a different route.

And remember, there is generally a HUGE amount of language development between 21 and 26 months!!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnS6
Sounds perfect to me! (And hey, I'm a bona fide expert in the field, so I must be right
).

Different strategies for different kids. There are actually two "documented" strategies -- kids who start small, learn words and then build sentences and kids who start with whole phrases and fill in the bits later.

Our son was very much a "learn a lot of words, then work on sentences" kind of kid. He didn't combine words until 24-25 months. He had a huge vocabulary (well over 500 words, I know because I recorded them, and their pronunciation until he was 25 months!) He could get his point across just fine. He didn't say 'yes' until late, and actually didn't say "no" until much later! He then went to lovely 2 word phrases, then 3, and then many word.

Our dd on the other hand seems to be more of a "whole phrase" learner. Some of her first "words" were things like 'where are you?' (wa a ooo?) with perfect intonation. She was combining words (productively, not just in little phrases like this) at 20 months (give or take a month -- oh gosh, I forget and she's only 26 months now!!!) By now, she's well into 'conversational' kinds of language too -- "I wanna go outside" "Tommy fell down. Bandaid on knees. Tommy cry." "Daddy's turn put Tommy bed. Mommy's turn do Maria."

But despite this difference, I don't think her language is any more advanced than her brother's was at the same age. She just has a different route.

And remember, there is generally a HUGE amount of language development between 21 and 26 months!!
Interesting info - thanks!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earth Goddess
Ds is 23 months and has been speaking in complete sentences for about 4 months now....I think it's partially because we did signs with him (he started at about 6 months and knew around 100 signs by the time he was 12 months) and have read to him since he was born, every day, a lot...being read to is one of his favorite things to do. And he's never watched television. And we've always talked to him a lot. They all develop in their own time and in their own ways. Watching them learn and develop new skills is such an amazing thing to witness!
You could have done all these things and your DC could only be speaking one word at a time at that age. They DO all develop these early skills at their own pace, and while all these activities are awesome and can only help, I'm sure there are many moms who have done all this and more and their DC's may be a few months from complete sentences. SOunds like you have a very verbal kid and you're having lots of fun with him, which is awesome.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
My DD and nephew are 3 days apart and about to be 23 months. My nephew speaks one word at a time, sometimes 2, and only family members can descipher them. Lots of "look! a'pane!" (airplane) and "dinkuuu" (thank you). My DD speaks in full sentences, discusses her "feelings" - physical like being tired or hungry and emotional like being happy and sad, tells "stories" (One day a girl Robin was bouncing on the bed. I fell and bonked my head. Ouch. The end), etc. They are both within the normal range. Studies show that even though kids do develop verbal skills at various rates, "slow talkers" and "early talkers" are mostly indistinguishable by early elementary age - meaning it all comes out in the wash. Your DC sounds perfectly normal and will be chatting your ears off in no time.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earth Goddess
That is awesome! He seems like a very verbal kid.

We do all of the things you mention (lots of signing, reading, no tv, tons of conversation) and my 23month old has a vocab of approx 100 words and can string together maybe three or four, two-word phrases. Like so many other milestones, each kids hits them at various times. Certainly if there was a sure fire way of making sure our kids could speak in full sentances at a specific age, we'd all be doing it. LOL!

I think the OP's child is very, very normal in their verbal skills. They will come...some kids don't talk in full sentences until they're 3 or 4 years old! My mom always says to me that DD doesn't speak as much cause she always has all of her needs met...she doesn't need to tell me what she wants. OK, I know this is totally untrue but I love when my mom says it to me anyway!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
My son (21 months) will say "I don't know" but that's really the only words he has strung together. He says a lot of words but they are usually one at a time. I think you DC sounds normal!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts