Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing people referring to a sugar intolerance, but then they can have honey or fruit or grains - all of which have sugars in them. And of course, our cells use sugars as an essential component of their metabolism. DNA is made of sugar, for example.

Is it just some sugars, if so, which ones?

· Registered
10,748 Posts
Two of my kids were tested through ALCAT for intolerances. DS is intolerant to cane sugar, but can have maple sugar and honey and beet sugar. DD is intolerant to honey and beet sugar, but can have maple sugar and cane sugar. You can be intolerant to any food. And they pretty much react like any other intolerance.

Though there are also glycemic reactions where a lower glycemic sugar is better for certain types of people.

· Premium Member
8,786 Posts
Well I'm no expert, but I do know that sugar cane and beets are in entirely different food (plant) families... so it makes a difference which plant the sugar was derived from.

Are you asking because you think you have an intolerance, or...?

· Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm asking because I don't understand it.

It doesn't make sense, though. It seems to be a class of people whodon't say they're intolerant to beets or to sugar cane, they just say "sugar", not even specifying whether it's sucrose or fructose or lactose that they're intolerant to. And the sugars they specify don't fall into a group that makes sense chemically.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.