Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes...

I want to BF DS as long as possible. He's approaching the 6 month mark and has had a few meals of solids so far (although he seems much more interested in attempting to steal Daddy's Doritos than slurping down rice cereal
).

I work FT, and my question is this: How did introduction of solids affect your breastfeeding/pumping schedule? Did you need to pump at work right up to weaning, or does it eventually reach the point where the baby only nurses in the morning and evening, and doesn't need any EBM during the day?

There's so much information out there on getting started at birth, but so little on how to work the nursing in with other foods and keep it going for an extended period, especially for the WOTH mother.

I'd love to hear about your experiences!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Before a year of age, solids should not replace breastmilk (or ABM) as the main source of nutrition. At your son's tender age, if it does have any impact on your nursing or pumping schedule, you need to cut back on the solids.

once baby is able to eat and digest meals of solid food (usually happens around 12 months, sometimes sooner, sometimes later) they will gradually nurse less on their own. With my oldest, it was so gradual as to not be noticeable at all until I realized my bras were starting to be too big for me.

edited to add that DD didn't cut back to nursing less than six times a day until I became pregnant with her baby sister and my milk went away.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
it didnt' affect our bfing routine at all. Ds is 11mos now and eats quite a bit of solid food and still nurses often. He nurses in morning, for morning nap, after lunch, down for afternoon nap, before dinner, after dinner and to bed. sometimes more, sometimes less but generally he nurses every 3-4 hours regardless of what he's eaten.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.