Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't figure this out with DD#1 and I can't figure it out now either...what do you do when baby is sleeping and you're not? DD#2 is approaching 3 months. Up until now, we've put her to sleep in our bed for naps and at night when she goes down before we do. I wasn't especially concerned because she couldn't really "go" anywhere, but now she's moving aqround more in bed and I'm less and less comfortable leaving her to sleep unattended. We have a king size bed (with a headboard) that is open on both sides (not up against a wall on either side, and this is not an option due to window placement and angled walls). I feel safe with her sleeping in between us at night, and I've been trying to get her down for daytime naps in her crib, which has been going ok. My question is, what do I do when I put her down for the night (around 7pm-8pm)? I won't be going to bed at that point, but I hate to put her down in her crib and then have to get out of bed to retrieve her when she wakes up (don't even know when that usually is because typically I just roll over & nurse her-I'm barely awake a minute).

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
161 Posts
We put the mattress on the floor (bye bye beautiful bed, hello safer mattress altitude), put a pair of serious bed rails on, and body pillows around the perimeter. Then we bought a really good reliable baby monitor and set the monitor on the bed with the baby. We have to eliminate any extra noise in the room (like a fan) and then we hang on the monitor. This works for us, we really hang on the monitor too and if we hear any movement we go up and check everytime (because of the soft bedding around the edges factor). Once babies get a bit older we put noisy toys placed all around the edges before the body pillows. With DS it was never really an issue but DD wakes up quietly sometimes, however she can not resist playing with her mozart's music cube or a very loud alphabet/bus toy someone gave us. This works well like a "baby is up" announcement. Neither of my babies ever fell out or made it out of the bed on their own before we arrived. Now that I am more comfortable we have even put the box spring back under the mattress (but still no bed frame, that just seems to high to me still to chance it).

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
One of us just holds the baby until we go to bed. I'm sure that wouldn't work for everyone, but it works great for us.

·
Registered
242 Posts
We have a fairly low platform bed, king, with bed rail on oneside, a headboard and then bolster pillows for a safety perimeter. Along with a good monitor I can hear everything! We did the same for DS #1 who would sit and wait for me to get him. Right now #2 is a mover so the moment I here anything I'm headed to the room to check.

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
We also put our bed on the floor. Futons are really in style these days!
Or I let dd sleep on me in the sling till I was ready for bed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts