Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I observed some time ago that every time I get sick, there is magically something wrong with dh too. Or he gets upset with me for some thing or another (last pregnancy I wasn't keeping up with the laundry and he had no clean underwear
: ). Really, he is a wonderful, supportive man, but somehow he just can't deal when I am ill. So my standard 4 weeks of early-pregnancy misery is really a struggle.
I called him out on it a while ago, hoping that at least shame would keep him in line next time I was sick. And in fact for the first week or so of my nausea and exhaustion, he was great, offering to take the kids while I napped, and so on. But in the last few days the demon seems to be arising again and he is becoming withdrawn and unsympathetic.
Now this man is the most miserable creature in the world when sick, not one at all to suck it up and deal, so I don't really get the issue.

Am I the only one? How is your partner doing?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
LOL!
My DH is a bit like this.
Every time something is going on with me, something pops up with him. Honestly though some of it he really cant help.

Last week when I went to the ER because of spotting, his wisdom tooth began to hurt really badly. He actually had to go to the doctor and have it pulled when the morning came. So things like that are not his fault, but it does seem like there is always something when I am feeling a little under the weather.

It drives me a little crazy, but he is supportive none the less, so i can't really complain!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Funny...my DH is just like that!!! We had a BIG "discussion" about it this morning because he seems to expect me to take care of everything and I feel sooo tired, cranky, achey, you name it. I had a migraine all weekend, and he's worried about what he's going to eat for dinner. Smells are really bothering me and I've asked him many times to clean out the litterbox (he finally did it this morning, but sheesh, does it take me to blow up everytime I want him to do one of his chores?? He doesn't have many!!) I could use a little coddling right now...he admitted this morning that he didn't realize I would be feeling the effects of the pregnancy this early on. OK, but I am, and I've made it quite clear!!

He can't handle it when I'm under the weather, either...and like your DH, ccohenou, he's a big baby when he's sick! He was actually upset with me because I didn't coddle him enough when he was sick last week, even though I was dealing with all my own sicky issues and not getting any sympathy! I'm beginning to wonder what it'll be like when the baby comes! Good thing I'm getting a post partum doula!! (I should make him pay for her!)
:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had to remind DH that I really needed his help around the house a couple of times but since then he's been pretty good. He's been doing a few dishes here and there which is something he normally never does. He also helps with DD a lot more but I do have to plead with him at night to take her to the potty when she needs to go because she usually has to go three or four times before she actually falls asleep. So so far he's been pretty good with some remindering here and there to let him know how sick I feel.
Oh and DH cooks all our dinners. I can't and don't like to cook so I guess that's a big plus!

·
Registered
266 Posts
My DH is just like this!! He wasn't around me much when I was preg with DS (I was in college, he was 10 hours away) and with DD I wasn't sick at all. He was sympathetic for the first few days, but now he teases me that its "all in my head" and gets annoyed when there's no clean laundry. Smells are horrible for me lately, last night was the first night I actually cooked in Goodness knows how long...so hes been talking about how hes going to die from eating nothing but sandwiches. Really annoying stuff. But he has been "letting" me take naps without too much grouchiness :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.