Mothering Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
12,085 Posts
I don't think that experience is the most important thing in choosing a MW. For me, I'd start a thread saying, "How hands off is your MW?" I'd look for a MW who supports UC, who believes that she is not needed in most birth situations, one who gets out of the way unless invited and then gets back out of the way again. For me, that's the most important thing in a MW if I need to hire one.

The MW who we've hired is an older MW. She supports UCs and was honored to sit downstairs while my DH & I birthed upstairs. If I had to have a MW present, I'd choose her. She's been deliveing babies for over 27 years. She's attended on average 2 births a month since then. So... about +/- 650 babies.

I would not want a MW sho attends more than 2 births per month (or in a practice the ratio to be no more than 2 births per month per MW). I believe that a great MW takes care of herself enough to not overbook herself.

25 years of experience is wonderful in my mind, but more important is her that her birthing philosophy is to meet the mother where she's at. I'm a UCr by nature and that's what she has supported me in.

· Registered
2,284 Posts
My midwife graduated from the same class I did in 2003. So, she is in her 4th year as a midwife. As such she has gone to about 140 births as a primary midwife, and another 100 or so as the second midwife. In school we went to about 120 births, and she worked as a doula before.

For me, it isn't the raw data of experience that counts, it is how my midwives *are*. I am fortunate as I have seen my midwives from all sides from working side by side with them. For me, I chose my midwife because of the loving way she looks at labouring women, and because of the respect she shows women and their partners at all times. On top of that she is a very capable midwife with a strong sense of the need for the protection of normal. I *trust* my midwives and that is why I chose them. For me, trust is hard earned.

· Registered
585 Posts
If I remember correctly, I think my midwife had only caught 100 - 150 babies. Something like that. What I remember clearly is thinking that the number didn't sound like a lot, and I felt concerned about it. I wanted a midwife who had caught, like, thousands of babies!

But...

Then I got to know my midwife, and realized how knowledgeable and competent and perfect she was and is. She was absolutly the best midwife for me and my birth. So, I guess what I'm saying is that while experience is important, it's not the most important thing. KWIM?

· Registered
3,503 Posts
My mw has been practicing since the early 70's I have no idea how many babies she's caught, but I'm guessing well over 1000.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.