Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far away do you live from your kids' dad?

If you were ever together, who moved away from whom, and when?

How often do the kids see their dad? How do you do "the transfer", if applicable?

Is everyone satisfied with the current amount of visitation?

Anything else?

·
Registered
654 Posts
How far away do you live from your kids' dad? 30 minutes

If you were ever together, who moved away from whom, and when? I moved last September.

How often do the kids see their dad? How do you do "the transfer", if applicable? He sees his Dad about twice a month on average, but sometimes less. He has supervised visitation, so there is no trasnfer. But, I have to spend time with him and it is hard.

Is everyone satisfied with the current amount of visitation? It is fine, I guess. He isn't much interested in our DS. He has told me that DS will have to come live with him oneday so he can show him how to be a man. Our DS is 16 months and he asked me if he is potty trained yet. Then he told me that I baby him too much. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
We live about 45 minutes away.

I moved.

They see their dad 2 days per month.

He has to pick them up and bring them back home.

Satisfied? Well, for the kids sake, I think it would be good for them to see him more often. For my sake, I'm happy to have them as much as I do and I do appreciate the 2 days off for "me time."

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
ds1's dad lives about 3000 miles away (opposite coast) - I moved when I was pregnant - he's met ds once in 7 years - we're happy, he call's a lot and may be more active in the future, but ds and I are fine with the way things are.

ds2's dad lives about 20 mins away - he moved out at my request - sees ds about 1-2 times a month (with me present either at his place or mine), I wish we saw him either more regularly or not at all. The wishy-washy quality of it is annoying.

·
Registered
381 Posts
my 2 ds' see their dad - rarely.

The boys and I initially moved out bc the x would do NOTHING. Then I ended up having to move back to my small hometown with the boys to be able to survive and provide stability.

Their dad has moved about 7 times in the past year, will not work a stable job (heaven forbid he have to pay child support!), has lived with at least 3 different women (that I know of) and is currently 2000-3000 miles away.

When he did see them, we would meet at a park for the transfer and he would take them anywhere from 2-6 hours. He has never had them overnight.

Our oldest boy-6- does miss his dad, but I try to be as open and honest as possible. It is all about choices, I explain.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
My ex lives 200 miles away. I moved. First I left him, then after working three jobs to make ends meet (while he paid no child support) so that ds wouldnt have to be away from his dad and his grandparents (whom he'd grown up with and had lived in the same town for 11 years) and so ds could stay in the same school he'd been in since kindergarten, I finally thought what the he$$ and I moved back home to be near my family and stay with my parents to get back on my feet and get by on ONE Job.

DS goes there just about every weekend, and during the summer, pretty much back and forth for one to two weeks at a time, whenever he wants. Its very unstructured.

We generally meet halfway, well..........

thats where the problems come in, my ex always pushes and pushes and wants to bring him back later/me to drive further etc. then my dh gets angry because he feels my ex takes advantage of me, but I do it for ds. Still.

sigh,
my ex wants MORE, I want LESS, how do you handle that? I wish he'd only go twice a month.

oh yeah, I have two more dc now and do you think my ex was
the least bit understanding about having to make the drive all the way, each way for a few months either time? Heck no (his pov is that it isnt HIS fault I had more kids, a real prince huh?) He doesnt seem to get that I dont HAVE to drive ANY at all, anytime.

Then sometimes my ex will be hungover picking up or dropping off and that sends me through the roof. I want to cut him off completely but ds is so against that and my dh, to this day doesnt speak to his mom because she cut his dad out (but then she didnt have the reasons I do...)

Im just glad my ex lives with his parents (ever since I left him, he cant handle money) and I do trust them to supervise. If he ever gets his own place I dont know what I'll do. But its not likely, even living with his parents with no rent or bills (just a carpayment) he still manages to owe them a few thousand dollars each year, which he tries to pay back by talking me out of half of my income tax refund. Yeah, right.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
We live about 140 miles apart. I moved when I started a relationship with a woman (whole other story!
) He was not happy about the move and fought it every step of the way. Marnie sees him every other weekend, two weeks in July and two weeks in August. He picks her up and I go get her. She does not like going so as she gets older, this will become more of a struggle.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How far away do you live from your kids' dad? 20 minutes. We are planning to move soon, though, and will then be 4.5 hours away.

f you were ever together, who moved away from whom, and when? He moved out 5 months ago, and the kids and I will be moving as soon as the house sells.

How often do the kids see their dad? How do you do "the transfer", if applicable? Every Wednesday and Saturday. Usually he comes to the our house to hang with them, and I'll take off and do my own thing. Sometimes he'll pick them up from my work (in the town where he lives) if I'm working on a Saturday (like today). When we move, he will come up every Saturday that he can and will have the option of sleeping over and going home on Sunday for as long as we are on good terms.

Is everyone satisfied with the current amount of visitation? Yup.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whit
He's just a couple towns over.

Quote:
I moved from CA to MA with the kids after we got divorced. About a year later he moved out here too.

Quote:
How often do the kids see their dad? How do you do "the transfer", if applicable?
Almost every weekend, and for a few vacations every year too. He generally picks them up at my place. And during the school year he takes them to the Y once a week for a homeschool swim class.

Quote:
Yeah, it works well for us now, but took some time to work out the kinks.

Quote:
Anything else?
He's much better with the kids now that they're older. He was NOT a great dad until after we got divorced, then he seemed to "see the light," so to speak. He rarely spent time with the kids until he moved out here when my oldest was 6. Now that we are divorced, he sees them and interacts with them way more than he ever did while we were married!

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
How far away do you live from your kids' dad? 20 mins

If you were ever together, who moved away from whom, and when? since we decided we didnt want to change our 18 month old dd's surroundings, dh finally moved out in april last year after i gave him an ultimatum to leave.

he sees her 5 days a week, once or twice over the weekends. weekdays he picks dd up from dc and i pick her up from his place. weekends he either comes over for a visit or comes and picks her up and then drops her back.

no my dd isnt. because she wants to spend longer time with her dad. she sees him maybe 1 to 2 hours a day. but seh wants to spend 3 or 4 hours doing an activity with him - either going to friends house or going to a park or the grocery store or a fair. she has cried for him a lot until a few months ago when she doesnt want to go with him and when he comes to pick her up she tells him to go away and wont go with him. she doesnt cry for him as much. i have her 80% and he 20%. for my sake i am happy about the time spent with me. but for my dd's sake i wish he would spend more time with her. like take her for a full day or at least a half day and do things with her.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts

5 mins

I moved out of our house because we were in the process of selling and he had no where else to go and I couldn't afford the house on my own. We both re-located to SW FL from Boston almost a year ago.

Aiden sees his dad 2-3 times a week. He picks Aiden up from daycare twice a week and drops him off the next morning. Sometimes (if he doesn't have to work) he'll take Aiden on Saturdays, and I drop him off.

It bothers me sometimes being away from Aiden, but I know that he enjoys spending time with him dad and I do enjoy getting a break to take care of household things that I can't normally do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
About 2 hrs.

DS and I moved out not of our own will and were placed in a shelter (I didn't argue of course.) This happened in late 2003.

My ex hasn't seen DS since Nov. 2003, though he has expressed interest in seeing him once or twice per month starting in Sept.

I'd say that I'm not happy. I wish my ex had tried to see ds more. But I'm also happy that he only has supervised visitation. I wouldn't be uncomfortable seeing my ex, because we are thankfully on friendly speaking terms, if only for ds.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
How far away do you live from your kids' dad? - About 800 miles

If you were ever together, who moved away from whom, and when? - He moved back with his family last August

How often do the kids see their dad? How do you do "the transfer", if applicable? - DD just saw her dad a couple of weeks ago for the first time since he left. She and I spent 2 weeks visiting. There was no transfer because DD's too young for that.

Is everyone satisfied with the current amount of visitation? - No, both of us would like for DD to see her dad more, and DD is always asking for Daddy. He's the only person that she'll talk to on the phone. But it's a long trip for us to go see him, and his job makes it difficult for him to come see her. We will probably move to where he lives within the next 6 months.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
My stbx resides in another country.
He is there because he left.
He never sees the kids, and we haven't even heard from him in a couple of months. He doesn't really want to see the kids at this point.
Am I satisfied? Honestly, I'm kinda torn on this one. Stbx has some serious mental health issues that he refuses to be treated for, so I guess I'm glad at this point that he doesn't see the kids...when he was here there were times I was really concerned for my kiddos' safety. But...if he decided to get treatment and STAY with the treatment, I think my kids would be better off if they had some sort of contact with him.
Blessings.

·
Registered
854 Posts
ds lives with hs dad. I see him every second weekend, but it really adds up to only one weekend. they live about 30 mins away.

DD dad lives 12 hours away by car. They see each other once a year untill this last year when she started to exprees an intrest in seeing him more. I took her out there for christmas. And he is coming here in one week to see her and to take her back with him for 2 weeks. he doesn't pay support right now and we have no formal arangments.

ds (cory) his dad has seen hin 2xs in his whole life. He does not care if he sees him or not( he told me this) he is doing crack again, he also told me this
. I am moving away and not telling him or anyone he knows, really, i don't think he'll notice! oh i should say he was in prison for drugs, until dec last year and only now tryed to contact us. mostly it was me trying to contact him, I guess I fluked out and he anwserd the phone. I shoud have just left it alone, but I want to beable to tell Cory I tryed

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
How far away do you live from your kids' dad? About 20-25 minutes

If you were ever together, who moved away from whom, and when? We lived together for 3 months- from 1 month before DS was born until DS was almost 2 months old. I left him.

How often do the kids see their dad? How do you do "the transfer", if applicable? He is supposed to see DS every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, for 3 hours each time. It very rarely happens. He comes to pick up DS and he also drops him off (except for the rare time I don't have to work and then sometimes I'll pick him up). I will not drop DS off at his house. I did that once and Owen screamed and screamed when I tried to leave.

Is everyone satisfied with the current amount of visitation? With the amount? Yeah, I guess I am. It could be worse. I would be happier if he would either stick to the schedule and show up or else leave completely. DS is not handlinng the unpredictability very well and screams whenever he sees his dad now. I guess ex is happy with it- he's had the opportunity to have more time since December but won't take it. He can come and go as he pleases and that's just what he wants- to be a dad when it's convenient for him.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whit

Anything else?
Ds' dad lives about 10 minutes away. He works less than 1/2 mile from our house.

He sees ds every day except for Sunday (though he'll stop by occasionally on Sundays if he has time). He spends the weekday afternoons with him from about 4 until 8 and ds spends 2 nights a week and all day on Saturdays with him. Usually he picks ds up here, though occasionally he meets us at one of his activities or I drop ds off at his workplace.

Our visitation schedule works pretty well. I like that ds sees his dad most every day, though I really miss him on the nights that he's gone. And I love our Sundays where we get to just hang out. I think it's going to become more difficult when ds starts school, though, and I go back to work.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
How far away do you live from your kids' dad? 8 hours/500 miles

If you were ever together, who moved away from whom, and when? I moved away last July

How often do the kids see their dad? How do you do "the transfer", if applicable? 3x since last July

Is everyone satisfied with the current amount of visitation? Yep

EDITED to add - DD father would like to see her more, but his job doesn't let him get away much (nor does he attempt to take much time off) and the 8 hour drive is a long one when you've only got a few days! I'm teaching summer school this summer, so we may not even get down there.

Anything else?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts