Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me shallow, but I am itching to get this weight off. I started this pregnancy a little heavier than normal so I just am feeling really bad about myself. I have never been a skinny minnie but I am uncomfortable in my body now.

How long did you all wait until working out, even lightly, if you did? Did anyone start "too soon" and have it backfire? Anyone feel they waited too long??

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I think you need to wait at least a month to give your body a chance to recover, your fluid levels to return to normal, your internal organs to shift back, your hormones to even out. I have known people that worked out religiously from two weeks pp, and they didn't really lose it any faster than people who waited.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
My son, my second homebirth, was born on a Sunday morning at home. He was a posterior presentation with a deflexed head. I delivered him after nine hours of labor. I felt great! Within twelve hours, I had hopped on the ten speed bicycle and rode down to the gym and did 40 minutes of aerobics and 20 minutes on the Lifecycle Level 6! I was on a postbirth high! I was a

I paid for it a few months later. I had terrible postpartum depression and it still took me a year to take off all of the weight. ...And I was pregnant again by then anyway.

The lesson: take your time and rest - your baby comes first!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by applejuice
My son, my second homebirth, was born on a Sunday morning at home. He was a posterior presentation with a deflexed head. I delivered him after nine hours of labor. I felt great! Within twelve hours, I had hopped on the ten speed bicycle and rode down to the gym and did 40 minutes of aerobics and 20 minutes on the Lifecycle Level 6! I was on a postbirth high! I was a
OMG!
: I too had a posterior baby, and 2 months later, I'm STILL terrified of my bike!! LOL

I have yet to start exercising with any regularity(walks around the block, and that's about it so far). I am really starting to itch to get moving now though. Unfortunately, we're seeing 106+ degrees and the only thing I want to do is swim, but of course my suit doesn't fit! Ah well, time to invest in a gym membership, I guess.

Good luck mama! Remember, it took you 9 mos to put the wt on, don't try to lose it too fast!

·
Registered
347 Posts
i started walking right away and that worked out fine. i weight lifted and ran the entire pregnancy so i thought i could go back to light weights about 3wks PP, but I started to bleed again, so i had to back off.

I resumed running about 6wks PP and the weight lifting after 8wks (when i had to go back to work). i would say if you have the energy, then walking would be great. good to get out of the house and keeps your head straight!

but depending on your pre-pregnancy and pregnancy routine (i weight lifted until 2wks before i had dd and ran until 6wks before i delivered), go slower on anything else. when i started running again after 6 wks, i was fine, no bleeding. so just listen to your body and dont get overtired. you dont want to mess up the milk flow if you overdo it, but i think there is a lot of benefit to getting out and being active, within reason!
oh- and remember to stay hydrated!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I started my serious workout at 4 weeks pp..........and promptly started bleeding again. So i waited until 6ish weeks and things have been fine, i totally agree- i wanted to start moving and get in shape asap, nothing wrong with that in my opinion!!
peace- maria

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.