Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not, this throwing up thing is totally new to DH and I with our 2 1/2 yr old boys!<br><br>
ds2 suddenly threw up the other night at 1:30am (he had called me to their shared bed at 12:30am, so I was with him). Then again at 2:30am.<br>
Then again at around 11am the next morning. No other symptoms. Later that afternoon he did get a slight fever (I didn't measure, I just know it was higher than usual but not super hight).<br><br>
Since then he hasn't wanted to eat anything at all. We are still nursing thankfully, but I have them trained pretty well... when I offered him some a while after his last "episode" he said "only at night... OK!" So he didn't want any during the day, but did nurse at night, and did drink some water and diluted juice, but for the first day that's all. Then the second day he ate a dry waffle and drank some but that was all. This is now the third day and he didn't want a waffle...<br><br>
Last night ds1 was holding his tummy and whining, then suddenly threw up...<br>
Man, my Persian carpet is really getting worked over this week!<br>
He doesn't want to eat anything either.<br><br>
So, it seems to me like they have a stomach bug (can these pass from one to another?), and I'm wondering how far you let them lead in not eating. I know I don't like to eat when I'm not feeling well tummy-wise...<br>
We just picked up a few homeopathic tummy soothers...<br><br>
Are there better things to start with when they start eating again?<br>
I'm thinking bland things, oatmeal, toast, banana?<br><br>
I've had to do change outfits several times (my own included) over the last several days... its exhausting! Hope these are short lived bugs, but wanted to hear from others.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My daughter has been doing this since Sunday. Unfortunately I am pregnant and while we are still "nursing" I have no milk. The foods you mentioned are great for upset tummies. Try to keep liquids to sips not guzzling whole cups of water and offer food a couple hours after they have thrown up, might have a better chance of keeping it down.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Ditto on following their lead.<br><br>
I'd try to convince them to nurse. If they won't do that, can you pump and have them drink your milk during the day? I'm not a great pumper, so this wouldn't be overly easy for me, but for some women it would be.

·
Registered
411 Posts
follow their lead, but I would offer crackers and their favorite jello, the jello actually counts as "clear fluids" according to the hospital and the sodium in the crackers helps with water retention, plus, as gross as it sounds, it doesn't make you want to <i>die</i> when comming back up. Warning, it will stain the carpet!<br><br>
I had mono and numerous rounds of food poisoning plus food born hepititis by the time is graduated highschool - by the 6th grade, I told my mother, that that was all I was eating if I was throwing up!!! (my jello must be cherry and only the cheep saltines will do - none of that Ritz business!!)<br><br>
Hope you're babies are feeling better soon!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Make sure they're drinking lots. Offer food often, but if they don't want it, don't worry.<br><br>
Dry toast always helps when I'm feeling sick.<br><br>
Lemonade ice blocks.<br><br>
Fluids are the most important things though - little kids can get dehydrated quickly.<br><br>
Make sure you have a bowl next to you at all times that you can shove under them ASAP! If you watch them you'll be able to pick up signs of when they're going to throw up - DS would cough.

·
Registered
323 Posts
We're having this "fun" too!<br><br>
dd is 16 months and has been sick since Tuesday. She's asked for (and eaten) a couple of breadsticks and just had water and a bit of Dioralyte in between. She normally eats like a horse so it's really weird her not asking for anything else. But I know she'll ask for more when she feels like it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies!<br><br>
It seems to have been a short lived bug... no more throwing up and they have started slowly eating again. They are mostly interested in fruit and juice (we don't typically <i>do</i> juice) still but also eating other stuff slowly.<br><br>
My husband and I were talking about how strange it was they would just suddenly let their belly insides fly out, whereas adults tend to (TMI) heave a little... we thought maybe they just didn't know what was going on.<br>
The first ds that got sick and was already starting to feel better when the second one was throwing up was running and jumping around shouting "What's that? What's that?" looking at the carpet, and when I managed to get a bowl under his chin his brother shouted "I wanna hold it!" (the puke bucket).<br><br>
I'm still behind sleep-wise myself with all this, but never got sick (knock-knock) myself.<br><br>
Anyway, thanks for the assurances!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts