Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a mother of two daughters (and not having any more children), I don't know if I have any right to impart my ideas re circumcision to others. (Kind of how parents don't like receiving advice on parenting from someone who has never had children.)<br><br>
For my part, I am very glad that we only had girls as my dh was rabidly pro-circ & I was so totally opposed that we would have nearly broken up over it! However, in the past year & a half, my brother & two of our nieces have had little boy babies. I briefly mentioned not circumcising to my brother who was horrified at the idea. All three (nieces, & brother & his wife) have circumcised their boys. I am truly very sad for these little boys. However, I don't know if I have any right to try to convince others what they ought to do with their children.<br><br>
So, I was curious how far any of you go in trying to convince others not to circumcize their sons? Or do you not try to convince them at all b/c it is not your business if it is not your child?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have no problem opening up my big mouth. I was once ignorant on the issue, and would have appreciated someone telling me about circumcision.<br><br>
How far do I go? As far as I can, even if it makes them mad. They will get over it, that poor baby will not.<br><br>
I feel I am educating and not telling them how to parent. Besides, I views this as a human rights issue.

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Agreed: it's a human rights issue. The gender of one's own children is irrelevant, although it does give added weight to my argument that I "put my money where my mouth is" and left my son intact.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I have no problem speaking my mind about circing- I will tell anyone, and I feel that I have just as much right talking about circ as a mother who has a son. This is after all a human rights issue and also, I do think of my DD. Sex could feel very different with a cired man v's an uncirced man, and why would I ever want my DD to have less than perfect? Also, I would hope that she would marry or have childen with someone that (even if circed) would never circ his child. And the only way to do this is to change the countires way of viewing circing and STOP it! And every voice counts, it doesnt matter if your child has a penis or not, a sexual orgain is ment to be intact and it should be looked at by every parent as a human rights issues and the right of all of our childen to decided how they treat their sexual orgains, it is not a parents right to cut it up-<br><br>
So speak up mama! Dont feel bad, you are educated and the glory in that is you can educate others, and who knows you may someday be a grandmother of boys, so it is up to you to educate your girls and for them to see you as a strong role model for human rights such as this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts