Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH works full time and makes good money (last year about 93K before taxes, that was salary + commission) and I work part time bring in about $600-$1000 (after taxes) per month depending on how much work I have. It probably seems like we a rich or something but we are not. 50K (before taxes) is DH's salary that he is guaranteed so anything on top of that is commission. He has made no commission so far this year (that he is eligible to receive yet). Hope that makes sense.<br><br>
So anyway, DH is thinking about getting a weekend job at the local plant nursery, right down the street. He is thinking about doing this for a few reasons:<br><br>
1. We have a lot of debt we are paying off. Just making the minimum monthly payments on all of our debt and mortgage eats up most of our pay. We would like to be making more then the monthly payments and getting that debt paid off faster.<br><br>
2. DH really loves the nursery and being that we are on a tight budget, he can't buy anything there anymore. I think working there would actually be really fun for him. He loves plants and gardening.<br><br>
3. Pending that we get out of our debt, this might be a business DH would like to buy one day. This is obviously WAY in the future but its worth noting.<br><br>
So I am just wondering what others experiences are with themselves/DH/DP working a part time weekend job has been like.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And I just got off the phone with my boss who told me that they can only guarantee me 10 hours a week now........ great.....

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
i can't speak from personal experience, but based on your reasons why you and he both think this would be a good idea, i see no reason not to do it. add to that the fact that you're expecting in july (congratulations!), it seems wise to improve your financial situation as much as possible before then. before aggressively paying down debt, i would focus on planning for your maternity leave right now, putting away as much money as you can.<br><br>
can you live on your income and dh's base salary exclusively, using any commissions as "windfall" to make extra payments against the debts?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes and that is what we do. We use the commission for paying down debts. However, in the past we have been very stupid and just rung our debt right back up again. But in the past we really hadn't made a commitment to be debt free and now we are. Our little one is the best motivator in the world to really secure our financial future.<br><br>
I did nanny work for a long time and with this very recent news from my work I might see if there is some work available for newborn/infant care right now. I just don't have the energy at the moment to take care of toddlers or older kids which I have "clients" for that I told I was moving on from nanny care for the time being (I got my degree and got pregnant so I was ready to move on).

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I should also mention that I work from home so I will be able to go back to work pretty soon after the baby is born and I won't need child care.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
From the perspective of working once there are children... I work part time... not for the money, but to have something to do. We have 1 dd, who is in school and TBH, I was bored, which is why I took the job. Right now I work 2 evenings a week, one day a week and every other weekend. Dh is a university professor and has lecture late on Mon and Wed.<br><br>
The weekends are hell, the other hours are okay. I hate being away from my family and the whole time I'm at work on weekends, I think about all the things we could be doing together. I work at a library and I love the job itself. The reason I stay is because one of the staff is about to retire and the director has said that when she retires it will free up funds and that he and I will sit down and design a position for me at the library that utilizes my skills better (I used to work as a programmer/analyst for a large pharma company prior to becoming a SAHM) and lets me write my own schedule.<br><br>
Once I'm able to work the hours I *want*, it will be a dream job and worth the wait... assuming they come through on it.<br><br>
But for now, it's really, really hard to be away on weekends. If I had to and the money was worth it (I only make about $650/month), it might be a different story.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the one thing I worry about is really missing the weekends together. When I was in school I used to work Saturday mornings from 6AM-4PM. By the time I got home I was BEAT (I worked as a manager at a Jamba Juice). DH would probably work shorter shifts given that its a totally different business but even if he works like 8-2 thats a big chunk of our time together. But I think it will be worth the sacrifice because ultimately it will mean being able to have more time with family once he doesn't have to work so much and make so much money to pay off debt. If it weren't for all of our "stupid" debt, we could live on very little.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
DH is a officer (full time job) and works 4 10's T-Fr. He also works part time 20-30 hours a week at a local hunting store. He is home on Wednesday night and all of Saturday. He is home by 8pm on all other days. It is hard sometimes but he really enjoys both jobs, so we make it work.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
DP works Mon-Fri 9-5ish (sometimes goes in early, sometimes stays late but those are the general hours). He also has a PT job so then Friday he works 5:30-11ish after his first job. Saturday he works 3:30-11ish and Sunday he works 11-4ish. He almost never has a full day off work, which really sucks sometimes. But, it pays the bills and keeps us out of debt so... for now it works. It's not a long term solution (goal is for me to get a better paying job so DP can go down to his one main job) though, which helps when I get upset about not seeing him much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts