Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
12,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 7.5 foot ceilings. Ds would like a loft bed this fall because he wants room to have a desk under his bed and some extra space in his room. I'd like one so we have room for a desk and some shelves so he can get all his junk (bus schedule collection, feather collection, penguin collection... seeing a trend here?) off the floor.

How much room should we leave between the bed and the ceiling? (I'm not worried about ds falling out - it will have a rail.) I've never had a loft bed so I'm pretty clueless.

· Registered
1,615 Posts
I had a loft bed in college. I don't think there's really a safety limit unless you're concerned about falling. He may want it low enough that he can sit up in bed. If he doesn't care about that, you can put it higher, but he may hit his head on the ceiling a couple of times before he remembers to not sit up fast. Ask me how I know...

I'm none the worse for wear though.

· Registered
2,451 Posts
the post from college bed lofts are the lofts my boys are in (13 and 10 - got them at 11 and 8). We bought them direct with 7.5 foot ceilings. They have worked out really well for us. We had a fire so bought all new things at the same time. We didn't use the built in desk, but bought one. Didn't use the "boards" to line the shelves but I stretched fabric across. They have really helped two very differrent boys share a small room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.