Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I'm in the scrapbook store at the cardmaking class they offer so I can pretty much just get out of the house to have some craft time.
This woman turns to me and starts the usual "When are YOU due?"

Here's how it played out:
Woman: "When are YOU due?"
Me: "October 15th"
Woman: -looks at belly- Twins, then?
Me: -sputters- Ur um, no. One boy.
Woman: So you've had an ultrasound if you know it's a boy?"
Me: "Yes, 4 actually, we wanted to be sure."
Woman: "YOu know... they can miss second babies when they do ultrasounds. It might just be that your little boy was in frint the whole time."
Me: "No... I'm pretty sure there is only one baby."

:

It's bad enough I have 9 more weeks til I'm 40 weeks preggo and I'm already bigger than I was when I gave birth to DD @ 37 weeks. But to have someone INSIST I must have twins in me!!
How I wanted to sit there and just say: "No ma'am, I'm sure it's just one. I'm so big because he has extra amniotic fluid because he isn't swallowing and his head is so enlarged due to a cyst and extra cerebrospinal fluids squishing what brain he has and causing his head to become grossly enlarged. We've had 4 ultrasounds no to be sure there was only one, but to be sure about his health problems. But thanks for making me feel like crap today. Believe me if being preggo with twins would mean not having to deal with what I am now, I'd welcome it. Thank you, have a good afternoon. Now please let me get back to my cardmaking, I don't get to do fun things like this often."

:

Although, after staring at myself in the mirror, I do understand why people think I'm preggo with twins....

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'm sorry. People can be so rude! It's bad enough when you ARE having twins or more. Duh, I know I am big. Do you have to rub it in, all the time??? Why can't people just leave well enough alone?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Good for you for biting your tongue!!!!!!!!! I don't think I could have held back from the woman! That is so incredibly rude of her and you would think that women especially would be aware of what they say to a woman who is pregnant. I'm sorry she was so oblivious to her words! And again, good for you for not losing your temper.

I snipped at a woman at IKEA today b/c she insisted we rammed our car into hers when in fact she had come around the corner at breakneck speed without looking. But I kind of lost it on her b/c she was so rude and indignant - my husband could only laugh b/c I'm never like that.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
People say this to me ALL THE TIME. I've had it since I got pregnant with my daughter.
But way, way more in this pregnancy than in any other.

The next time I get asked, "is it twins?" or get the, "Oh! It must be twins!" I'm going to answer:
"It's actually eight."
And when they inevidibly ask me if I'm serious, because you know they will, I'll answer. "Yeah, my husband is a real dog."

·
Registered
770 Posts
People are really rude....I was at Joann's about 6 weeks ago and this woman was insisting that I was due any day. Gee whiz! Don't they realize that babies need to grow and everyone carries a child different? I am not a runway supermodel with a tiny baby bump and due tomorrow! I am a healthy woman-nursing a toddler and growing a child! Good grief! Isn't it nice to be able to spout off here and btw-you are a better woman than I. I might have lost it and let it all out on the woman.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I would have totally share ALL the info you shared in your post... not in a mean way, necessarily, but when people press for info, I think they're asking for it. When ANYone does that kind of thing to me I give them as much and usually WAY more information than they were trying to get and then they let it go completely. It has also taught them (especially useful with people at church or those you will encounter regularly, but may not particularly appreciate the attentions from) to only ask what they REALLY want to know!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your kind words that I did well in holding my tougne!!

It really means a lot to hear that. I take DBT (dialectal behavioral therapy) for my borderline personality disorder and while I have not been able to be as consistent in attending as they would like due to all the doctors appointments with this pregnancy, I have been telling myself that what I do walk away with in terms of behavioral coping skills for situations like what I am going through does help me, even if it's only the tip of the iceberg in the actual method/skill that I've learned.

Hearing you all tell me that I did so well in holding my tougne... it floors me!
I feel like I AM learning something from this DBT and that I AM getting better as a person. DH told me about 3 days ago that he was shocked I didn't "go off" while at the hospital learning all this info about Lasius. He said he was really proud that I managed to keep calm and "stay in the moment" and not let my emotions get the better of me.

It feels like you guys just told me that I did really good staying in the moment and coping with the woman and improving the moment as opposed to bringing it down by me "going off" on her just because I was irritated at her insistance.

Thank you guys.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

And yeah... I do HATE it when people think they know when I'm due! Tonight at work my coworkers started laughing and giggling at me....

... because my maternity clothes are ALMOST too small for me now...
... and they saw me bare my belly when I was trying to reach some paperwork on the shelf above me....

...fits of laughter. All of them.
I probably looked funky and all but really... must you all LAUGH at me?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tori Gollihugh
I would have totally share ALL the info you shared in your post... not in a mean way, necessarily, but when people press for info, I think they're asking for it. When ANYone does that kind of thing to me I give them as much and usually WAY more information than they were trying to get and then they let it go completely. It has also taught them (especially useful with people at church or those you will encounter regularly, but may not particularly appreciate the attentions from) to only ask what they REALLY want to know!

I TOTALLY agree!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stbaby3rddaughter
If it happens again you should tell them that your having one from your husband and one from your lover...
oooooooooo! This one is too too evil! I love it, especially if you save it for the little old church ladies!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stbaby3rddaughter
If it happens again you should tell them that your having one from your husband and one from your lover...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.