Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so busy with my twins and newborn that I know I don't eat like I should. I'll grab a handful of something, drink some juice, nurse, clean the house, take care of my kiddos... but I wonder how much breastmilk is effected by mom's nutrition?
I take DHA and prenatals still, but curious on any info on nursing mom's intake. of food.
What do you know? Are you very careful what you eat while you nurse?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What you eat can affect both the quantity and the quality of your milk. If you don't eat enough calories or drink enough fluid, the volume of milk you produce will go down. The type of fats you eat also end up in your breastmilk - so healthy fats from things like fish, nuts and avocados are good. And substances like alcohol and caffeine end up in breastmilk. I've also found that eating certain things makes my baby's stomach upset (dairy, especially).

I think the most important thing, however, is that pregnancy and breastfeeding together take a huge toll on mom's body. It is important to really nourish your body while breastfeeding to help rebuild your body.

I would do what you can to make it easy to grab healthy meals and snacks. Put snacks like nuts and dried fruit where you breastfeed, make smoothies instead of just juice, make a few sandwiches and have them ready in the fridge, cut up apples or carrots or other veggies to have as easy snacks. I would make a point to sit down to meals at least 2-3 times a day. I know it's tempting to get something done while your older ones are eating, but if you sit with them an enjoy a meal together it's good for them and for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
"you are what you eat" right? so i go by the rule that everything i put in me goes to baby. so eat well, drink well, i try not to do anything processed, we as humans run on food. breathe in clean air, exercise, and feed yourself well....and all that will transfer to baby.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much, just do the best you can. Women who are living in starvation conditions in other countries produce remarkably similar breastmilk to those who eat well. Of course you should get the best nutrition you can, but don't worry about it. Not eating "enough" calories will not cause your milk supply to drop. Women probably need a lot fewer calories to produce breastmilk than was previously believed.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
It effects you more than your milk, and it effects quantity more than quality. Do the best you can, but don't sweat it too much or think you have to switch to formula over it. Women in famine conditions breastfeed.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I would be more concerned with eating properly than cleaning the house-that can wait, milk is more important!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts