Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With dd1 we were planning on waiting but 'gave in' at 5 mos 1 week because she was always grabbing for our food and getting upset we weren't giving her anything. I have some food allergy problems, so I thought waiting was important. However, we just couldn't hold out any longer. She was sitting unsupported at 4 mos btw.
So this time around I said we'd really wait the full 6. But here we are again. I can't sit at the table with G in my lap when others are eating: she fusses and cries out, and goes to every length she can to reach and contort her way closer to anything food-like, and will garb and pull it to her mouth if I'm not careful. She's not sitting unsupported completely, but can do it for a little over a minute. She takes water and breastmilk from a spoon pretty well, and opens wide as soon as there's a spoon within 6 inches of her face.
She is 5 months yesterday.
How important is it to wait? Honetsly. Does her gut become magically impermeable the day she turns 6 mos?
Yesterday at LLL, one leader told me that their official position is no longer just 6 mos, but 6 mos or when baby is showing signs. But from what I've read on kellymom, absolutely not before 6 mos.
So I'm kinda confused.
And itching to give her some banana. I thought I would just put her in the chair with cut up pieces (carrot stick style) and see what she can get in there.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
516 Posts
We let DD "choose" her time for solids as she was also grabbing and acting like she wanted food from us and handling a spoon, etc, around 4 mo, but as a first time mom, I didn't know if 6 months was magic or something...well the day before her 5th month birthday, she stuck her hand in DH's sweet potato, put it in her mouth and was quite happy. So we've gone from there...she is a great eater and has not dropped a single nursing session, so I guess she was ready!! She's now almost 7 mo and LOVES everything except the rice cereal "they" say to start with, she HATED IT!!! :LOL

I think just listen to your babe and your instincts and perhaps just start the foods you are allergic to later than others. I say go for the banana

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hmmmm...just one thing to think about...grabbing for food doesn't necessarily mean that she wants to EAT. My dd grabs for everything--edible or non-edible--and shoves it in her mouth if she can--especially spoons!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hey Pam

Brynn is also SUCH a grabby gus! It seems like she is more grabby when it comes to food than with other non-food things, but I am waiting at least until six months. Not that I think there's a clock inside that goes *ding!* at 6 months.... :LOL I am waiting because I think 1) interest is not sufficient to signify readiness IMO and 2) allergy awareness. When she is 6 months, I will see how her tongue-thrust reflex is & also how she is sitting. She is still roly-poly

This is a whole new ballgame for us, as Tess was not at all interested in solids until almost 10 months or so! Even then, she'd much rather nurse. Brynn seems *SO* eager to eat, and I think it's going to be really fun to see how she likes those first bites.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I think it's more important to follow your baby's cues rather than some magic number....after all, AP is all about following cues, not some rigid rules. If your babe is showing signs at 5 months, 6 months, or 15 months, the baby knows best about when he or she is ready!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well she is much more interested in food than other objects and she is just about sitting up on her own.
Now, I'm not sure if this is the tongue ejection reflex or not, but when she takes water or milk from a spoon, she opens up really wide but then it seems like she is trying to nurse from the spoon? Is that it, or is that her just eating the way she always has?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Does it matter if she wants to eat or play with the food? When Molly got really interested, I gave her some of her own food to play with/eat. She was only 5 months old, but she really wanted to try it. I reasoned that if I didn't actually feed her, she could eat as much as she wanted, but I wouldn't mistake her cues and feed her more than she was ready for. For a few months, she "ate" at every meal, but how much she actually got inside really varied. She definitely wanted to taste everything, but her dad and I are real foodies, so she gets it honestly. :LOL I tried to restrict allergenic foods, but I wasn't too worried. My brother is the only one in the family with food allergies, and he had a pronounced dislike for the foods that he is allergic to from his very first exposure to them. I don't think you can go too far wrong by following your baby's cues.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Angelo has had "tastes" of things because he shows interest. I don't think that is a problem. He turns 8 months tomorrow and is just starting eating solids more.

I think if you follow each babies cues, there is no magic time. Ds1 was around 10mths. Dd was around 7 mths Angelo almost 8mths (Might I mention he is 23lbs and just starting solids! He
s breastmilk!!!)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, another question:
do you all do the "give a food - wait 4 days - try another", or do you just give them bits of whatever you happen to have on your plate - a bite of chicken today, asparagus at lunch, peaches for snack... you know what I mean?

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I do the bit thing depending on what we are eating
:

Allergies do not run in our family, so I am not overly careful with it. I am very observant though to assure he is not reacting.

I never make separate things for babies. I just give them what they are able to eat out of our meal. Except for breakfast sometimes if the older ones are eating box cereal.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
We do bits of things too. We don't wait between 'introducing' things (haha, letting her have stuff off the plate or whatever - the other day we ate a mango together).

But we don't have allergies in the family. My DD has had an allergic reaction but we have no idea what it was to - closest we can figure it was something artificial in the Fruit Loops my mom let her have that day. She was 4yrs at the time.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I'm with everyone else. I waited til 7.5 months,. but my dd was happily occupied with empty plates and spoons while we ate.

I would just give her some to play with and see what happens.

·
Registered
404 Posts
We wait a minimum of 6 months and after researching, we feel it's very important. I don't believe it has anything to do with AP but it simply has to do with human biology. Many babies do fine with early solids but we would rather not take the chance. Once you introduce, you can't go back, kwim?
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Hey Pam, this was the topic last night at LLL. What the leaders here said was "sitting independently, making chewing motions with the jaw, hand coordination well enough to get food in mouth" SO on those notes, put a few chunks of banana out for her, let her grab and play with them, if she gets some, good, if not, at least she had fun.

Of course most of it will squash and come right back out, but food isn't about nutrition at this age, it's about learning spoon/food goes in mouth, hand gets spoon/food to mouth, food is fun to eat/squish/play with.

We're waiting as long as possible because of Lauren's issues, but I let her chew on cucumber slices and she thinks they are the coolest ever.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This link http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#reasons gives the specific reasons to delay solids. Don't forget to check out the additional information & references!

With a family history of food allergies, I, as the mother of a milk & soy allergic toddler, would personally err on the side of caution! It's easier to wait another month than to spend years keeping your kid away from certain foods.

But really, you know your baby best! If she really is interested in the food and not just the silverware/what everyone else is doing, and your gut is saying yes, then follow your gut.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well we decided to give her a try on bananas, and for the first time in a month and a half she did not try to grab whatever was in front of her and put it in her mouth. She wasn't into banana chunks OR mashed banana with milk.
I'll still follow her cues, and if tomorrow I'm eating a banana with her on my lap and she dives for it, I'll let her try.
Thanks so much for all the advice everyone!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Willow showed me when she was ready to start solids at 5.5 months. i started with a banana ... i let her hold it unpeeled, smell it, lick it, then i peeled it and let her smell, lick and mouth the whole banana a bit. we videotaped it, it was SO cool! i think she showed us 1,000 facial expressions
then i mashed up some banana and let her eat it from my fingertips, while i ate the rest of the banana, she watched with interest. next week was whole grain rice cereal, it really helped with her reflux, and whole grain tastes sweeter than single grain. that she ate very thin off of a spoon, she "sipped" or nursed at it. then she wanted to hold the spoon! so i made the cereal a little thicker, dipped it in, and let her lick it off.

i just love watching babies learn new things! their facial expressions and sounds of wonderment are so amazing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.