Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is the deal. I've started myself on the GAPS Intro Diet and the two kiddos on basically Full GAPS but trying to be more like the Intro. The Hubby is eating non-legal stuff still but eating more GAPS-y since I don't want to cook more than needed.

Buying everything organic is killing my food budget! It's only been a week but based on what I've spent already we'll end up shelling out about $400-$600 this month. That is just way too much for us at this time.

What I was thinking was buying organic veggies if they're only 25% more than conventional, buying organic meats if they're between 25-50% more, and buying conventional the rest of the time. This will hopefully keep my monthly budget under $300/month.

How much detriment will it be to do conventional on GAPS? I am worrying that I'm going to completely mess things up by introducing toxins into our bodies. Or is it really just about getting the bone broths into us? Any advice would be loved. TIA!

Oh, to help you understand what we have going for us we have four laying hens that give us about 15 eggs a week. Our garden isn't doing too bad and is providing greens, beets, turnips, tomatoes, summer squash, etc. And I'm deciding to do beet kvass for my probiotics instead of sauerkraut juice because it's cheaper.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't buy organic and am on full GAPS. I do okay.

Most of my veggies come from my garden so I buy things like avacado, celery, onion & winter squash from the store and never buy organic. I buy beets and carrots and greens sometimes and those I do buy organic.

I don't buy organic meat but wish I could. I cannot even begin to pay for one $20 chicken, let alone all the meat organic. When I was on intro I did buy local beef and kept that up for several months but ate non organic chicken in the same weeks. Now that I am several years in I DO so want all of my meat and chicken to be local and organic but I just can't do it.

I buy non organic friuts all the time and eat them liberally. Bananas, mangos, pineapples, apples, etc...

If I juice I do use only organic fruits and vegetables.

I think having non organic foods in your GAPS diet can put you at risk of ingesting toxins, but that is no reason to eat organic wheat instead. KWIM? Just go organic when you can. If avacados are 2 for 1.00 and organic ones are 1.79 each that is a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback, it really helped me out. I like your perspective on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think instead of the straight 25% more that you are doing I might suggest using the the Environmental Action list for vegetables and meat and just buy certain conventional produce unless its really cheap. (onions, radishes, hot peppers etc all have their own natural pesticides so even conventionally grown versions of these tend to be fairly low in pesticides. I personally would put a bit more money so you can eat naturally raised meat and a bit less on the veggies since you already grow your own leafy greens--those tend to be the most pesticide leaden.

But I also think if you can't afford organic, don't worry about it this diet is still much healthier than a more conventional diet packed with organic cookies, cakes and chips etc.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your opinion, I'm sorry my reply is so late.

The Hubby and I had a talk the other day and we're both working hard to tighten our budget belts and we're going to do the best we can. Of course our only car had to die yesterday, but it's okay! We have bikes and trailers and feet and public transportation. We're actually looking forward to the challenge.

My next step is to print up the Dirty Dozen list and store it in my wallet for shopping. Oh, and I'll print up the safe list as well, just so I know what to load up on.

Thanks for the insight!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.