Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asher (2 1/2) is truly the worlds worst sleeper. He will only nurse to sleep and wakes up for a snack every 1-2 hours. This has never gotten better since he was a baby (and we have tried it all!). He recently has given up his naps. Going to sleep is much easier but the rest of the night is horrible. He wakes up about an hour after he goes down and takes literally until about 3-4 a.m. to stop squirming and being so restless. I can not sleep at all during this time and he is totally attached to my breasts. He seems none the worse for wear in the morning.<br><br>
I have tried telling him he can't nurse any more but he is a tough nut. He isn't really awake and just cries and kicks me. I just can't let him cry forever (both b/c I just can't and I can't wake up the whole household). The nursing dosen't seem to be soothing him so much anymore.<br><br>
I never thought he could sleep any worse than before but he is and I am going insane.<br><br>
Any thoughts?<br><br>
Raquel

·
Registered
322 Posts
The answer is in the title of your post. Sleep begets sleep. The key to successful sleep is counterintuitive. Like the title of your post you would think that a non-napping toddler would be exhausted and fall sound asleep but it's the opposite; good sleep during the day leads to good sleep at night.<br><br>
Almost all toddlers need rest during the day to get a good night's sleep. I have to knock wood to write this but my toddler sleeps like a rock during the day and sleeps peacefully all night. Is there anything you can do to get your dc to take a rest/nap? Car ride in the early afternoon? I keep my dd from sleeping after 4:30 pm or she doesn't fall asleep at night.<br><br>
If naps are out of the question I would try to designate "rest" time for quiet reading or something that lets your dc get the batteries recharged. Also, if naps are out of the question I would make your bedtime as early as possible, say 7 - 7:30pm to get adequate sleep during the night.<br><br>
Good luck tired mama!

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
i agree sleep begets sleep.<br><br>
When my dd gave up her afternoon nap we moved her bedtime earlier by about a half hour. Most days she gets some "down" time in the jogger for about an hour. If she doesn't get that rest time when all she has to do is observe (or maybe snack if it happens at snack time), then she needs a nap otherwise she's tough to get to sleep.<br><br>
My dh was recently on restrictions (he had surgery) and couldn't run/walk with her so we began doing quiet activities at that time every day (~4pm)...puzzles, reading stories.<br><br>
Oh I guess I'll add -- dd goes to bed at 630. daily. religiously. she was a crappy sleeping baby and when we found a time that worked, well now we know how crummy it is when she wakes.<br><br>
and...if he's hungry -- maybe more protein before bed? if he's thirsty maybe a sippy cup/water bottle/something with a lid of water where he can get it?<br><br>
random unconnected thoughts here. sorry bear with me. my dd ALWAYS cries for 10 seconds to a minute before going to sleep. What happens if you get up from him and go sleep some other place? does he quiet down? is he maybe just a restless sleeper? (and you're more aware of it because you're a good mom and sleeping right there?)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
DD gave up naps at 23 or 24 months. It tood a good two months of hell for her to get to the point that she was sleeping 12-13 hours at night. I just kept gradually moving her bedtime earlier and earlier. She now starts bedtime at 7 and lights off is at 8. I still nurse her to sleep, but if she wakes and asks to nurse in the night, I say, "just a little" and break the latch after 10-15 seconds, repeating once if she asks again and then saying "no, we're all done" if she asks again. Mind you, this has only been since my milk dried up with pregnancy; prior to that she'd usually wake up for one feeding.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Ditto- sleep begets sleep. The less DD sleeps during the day, the worse she sleeps at night. If she naps early in the day, she really won't take an afternoon nap, so we have "quiet time" for 1/2 hour of blue's clues vegging on the couch with thumb & blankie. It helps her recharge & we make it to bedtime (7:30) ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts