Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
mine email me updates on their life every so often, and email them as well. we were never close, but we were friendly, so we're just continuing our superficial, friendly relationship.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XSIL became an unpleasant person, but we can tolerate each other in small doses and she is welcome to see the kids when she wants. She comes a few times a year.

XMIL and XFIL come to see the kids at least once a month and have started taking them for a few days at a time every couple of months.

When we first split, XH was responsible for arranging reasonable visitation between the kids and his family. Unfortunately, not long after he became an irresponsible mess of a deadbeat and drug addict and jailbird. When it was clear that he could not/would not facilitate their relationship, I stepped in. XMIL practically kisses my feet, she is so grateful, and they are always very respectful of me. In fact, as the kids grow, I receive any compliments from them on my parenting and how wonderful the children are. They've been smart enough to keep thier opinions about my (lack of) housekeeping to themselves. lol (Unlike SIL.)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Ex MIL doesn't like me since i left with the kids and brought the abuse to light. My ex used to beat his mom up but she denied it all in court and said i was a horrible mother for taking the kids away from her son. Fortunately for me ex MIL, my ex, and her husband were all busted and are now convicted drug felons so the only visitation will hopefully be supervised. If the judge orders any differently then the system is very corrupt and wrong. I say that because my ex and his mom are currently trying to get summertime custody of the kids. Kids who they haven't seen or talked to in almost 3 years.

With my first daughter i talk frequently with her grandparents and they are free to visit any time. They come a few times a year and we all hang out and they treat me other kids like their own grandchildren. They are very good people.

·
Registered
852 Posts
So far, so good. I had talked with MIL several months before we split telling her not to be surprised. I told her I didn't want to lose her as family (my "family" I grew up with were pretty horrid except for one of my bros). She said we would still be family.

I have to say, I am very touched at how supportive they are. My FIL came up to me, the day stbx husband moved out, crying (trying to hold back the tears), gave me a hug and told me, "We are still family, we will find a way." I really do love them. I just have no idea at all how to have loving parents. And I mean it the way I wrote that. I am grateful to have them in my and my dd's life. I don't mean to make them sound perfect, b/c they aren't, but I will take 'em!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts