Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We had Annabelle at home on August 8th (over 3 months ago) and never had the newborn screening done for her.  The state just sent us a letter reminding us that it is required and I decided that maybe we should have had it done.  Is it too late though? I know you can screen for things at any age, but is it too late to just do the little heel stick and such?</p>

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
<p>the test is the same at any age. though at three months it's basically only a formality. almost everything that it tests for would be symptomatic by this point. </p>

·
Registered
2 Posts
<p>Hi there,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I dont know what you ended up doing, but I just read this and it worried me! The pp is incorrect. I dont know which disorders the blood test in your area screens for specifically but many of the disorders they are screening for might not be symptomatic for years. My son was diagnosed with a metabolic disorder called "mcad" through the newborn screening and if he hadnt had the test done (we had a homebirth as well) he probably would have died but it might not have been for a few years.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Get the test done if you havent already!!!!</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts