Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you wake up your children to get them ready? My 7 yo I usually try (on school days) let him sleep as long as I can, and I wake him up 45 minutes before we need to leave. All he needs to do to get ready is, get dressed, brush his teeth, eat, and well that's it, and we always seem to be running late. He takes forever to get this little bit done. He goes to bed at no later than 8 and I wake him up at 6:45, he normally will sleep until 8 on weekends. Is this just really not enough time, or is he just really slow at this?

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
school days 30 minutes.
church an hour
going to their dads - bed to car, they can dress when they get there

my oldest sets her alam and gets up tp primp and stuff. middle gets up according to who she is sleeping with, I wake up Ava. Ava is the slowest person on the planet and a major whiner in the morning (she gets this from her mother . . . . ) and the less time we have the faster we actually go. less time for futzing and whining. and every minute if sllep counts for her.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
an hour to minimum 45 mins - if not more. my dd is not a morning person. plus like me she is the kind of person who needs the time to wake up. just opening eyes and keeping them open takes ten fifteen minutes. then go sit on the potty and stare into blank space.

that is exactly how i am too. even today i need at least an hour to hour and half to wake up. 6:45am is not a 'natural' time for my dd to wake up. she is a night owl and it usually is 9 am.

when she wakes up on her own she is up and chirpy almost right away. seriously we could walk out the house in 15 mins. not when she is woken up.

i have noticed that my dd needs at least one activity in the morning. just for 5 mins. either chat or read a book or play. i know we both hate HATE being rushed in the morning. she is 6 1/2. somedays even for me it might take me 5 mins just to put my shoes on.

: on the weekends she wakes up by herself by 6:30 am - all chirpy and ready to go go go!!! Go figure!!!!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I put my DD to bed by 8:30
I wake her up at 6:45
In order for her to be at school with enough time to play with her friends on the playground a bit before school which she likes we have to leave the house by 7:20 at the latest
To get her to school intime to be inside the "gate" before first bell we must leave by 7:35am...
I have to push her every step of the way but then when were going out the door shes gets all excited

BTW getting ready here is also super easy shes needs to eat (always cereal or toast) put on a school uniform (no standing around deciding what to wear) comb hair (short we don't bother putting anything in it) brush teeth.. yet it still takes a lot of pushing to get her ready... I was the same way as a kid.....

Deanna

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Any way he can go to bed earlier?
We've found this really does nothing.. Both her body wont sleep earlier and even if it does she still is just not a morning person... BTW mine will get up okay shes jsut taks a long time doing everything.

Deanna

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
If it is just ds1 getting ready, I can get him up 30 minutes before we need to leave. I usually just pull on some yoga pants and a baseball cap to take him to preschool (and ds2 just wears his pjs). If all 3 of us are getting ready, I need at least an hour and a half, preferably 2 hours (if dh is going with us I can take a little less time since he's here to help).

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
30 minutes roughly on weekdays. That's when I start, they need to get dressed, hair combed, face washed, teeth brushed. My oldest normally eats breakfast before we leave, but my youngest eats in the car.

They're hard to get up and get going so I try to start early but also let them sleep as much as possible, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
It depends on where we are going and the time of day.
If dd is just waking up I think an hour to get her up, dressed, fed and myself ready is safe.
I sometimes have dd just wear the clothes she'll be wearing that morning to bed if we have to be somewhere early.

If she has been awake for awhile then it can be 15 minutes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Our 11-year-old is usually awake when I go to wake her up at about 8:00, and she leaves for school (walks herself) at 8:30. Most days that's plenty of time for breakfast, teeth and hair brushing, face washing, and getting dressed.

Sometimes, though, she will disappear into her room for 15 minutes and manage to never get dressed, but this happens FAR less often than it did when she was 6, 7, 8, and 9-years-old...

She likes to see her friends before school and doesn't like signing up late at the office so she's pretty good about being self-motivated.

She's supposed to go to bed at 9:00, read until 10:00, then lights out, but lately she's been staying up until 11:00 which unfortunately cuts into "husband & me" time, and she's tired in the morning.

I'm afraid she's becoming a night owl like my side of the family... everybody stays up until the wee hours of the morning (3-4:00) and I would, too, if I let myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meemee View Post
: on the weekends she wakes up by herself by 6:30 am - all chirpy and ready to go go go!!! Go figure!!!!
I've noticed this too! We now let our daughter have unlimited TV time on weekend mornings. All she has to do is be quiet so husband and I can sleep in. As soon as we wake up the TV goes off so that has been working out well!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.