Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious
as to how long I can breastfeed dd, who is a few days shy of being 7months, without introducing solids or making solids a part of the daily menu. My mom has never breastfed, so she is no help when it comes to this. She is telling me that I need to start giving dd solids now
:. I am afraid that if or when I start introducing solids, that my milk will diminish
.I'm already having issues with milk supply.

· Registered
2,932 Posts
I have a 7 month old and I don't plan on even introducing solids until he's at least 12 months. Our ND mentioned this to me, and I wholeheartedly agreed.

I really don't think there's a need for solids as long as nursing is going well!

· Premium Member
20,157 Posts
Quote:
I really don't think there's a need for solids as long as nursing is going well!
For clarification, do you mean at seven months or *ever*?

We started solids at six months with DS. She didn't eat a noticable amt until 15 months. With DS he wasn't interested at six months, so we waited until around 8. He was more interested. I would say DD was at least 95%, probably more like 98% bfed at a year; DS probably closer to 95ish%.

With both we just skipped "baby" foods and went directly to table foods around 9 months (excluding the big no-nos). Very small amounts but they tried whatever they wanted.

They were both *very* interested, but we went very very slowly.

I don't think there is any reason for most children before a year, and for most children I think bmilk making a majority of their calories into the preschool years is also fine. That said, your child will let you know and unless there are reasons to do otherwise (extreme allergies or sensativities, disease, etc...) most kids can just lead the way.

Enjoy!

Kay

· Registered
2,932 Posts
Since I also said "I don't plan on even introducing solids until he's at least 12 months", obviously I didn't mean ever.
Although it has been really good for my weight loss, so I've considered nursing DS at least until college!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your insite
. I feel a lot better knowing that there is really not an urgency on introducing solids. I get so confused
: at times with everyone around, telling
me different things. I'm just trying my best to make this time around be more enjoyable, and have no regrets.......I wish I knew about this site when I had my ds. You guys are
awesome
. Thanks!

· Registered
24 Posts
my son never even ate baby food....he nursed his first year and ate occasional foods such as cheerios once he had his first 8 teeth...around 8 months old. He liked to eat them because he could pick them up himself. My FD used to tease me that I had "Power milk" as my ds was 32 lbs. at a year...and that was almost all from nursing. Now he's 5 1/2 y.o and is a skinny stringbean-LOL. When he was a baby we used to call him "sumo baby"

· Registered
2,330 Posts
My daughter didn't start on solids until she was about 12 or 13 months. Now....she had had tastes of things...but she wasn't quite interested until then. She also never had baby food. When she was ready she'd just pick at my plate. (Still does)...Sometimes I wonder if she should be eating more...but she eats what she wants and lets me know when she's done. Ahhh....I love having a built in manual.

Best of luck!!

· Registered
1,381 Posts
Jordan is 18 months and 95% BFed. Today, she had two strawberries and some bacon. She is nursing as I type this, lol. As long as dd keeps gaining weight, try not to worry. She'll eat when she is ready.

· Registered
2,961 Posts
My dd is almost 9 months now and has just started to take an interest in babyfood....if you can call it that. I offered some fruit at 7 months and just didn't make a big deal out of it, offering every week or so until she cared to taste. Now, pears are a big hit, especially a fresh organic pearn that I mash up. However, she sort of laps the food up like a kitten, right off the spoon. Her tounge thrust is still really strong. We tried a cheerio, but she choked and now I'm pretty terrified to go there again, at least for a while.

Basically, she's super active, 99% BF (besides a few licks of pear at dinnertime) and doing great. I get a lot of pressure to feed her more, but she is a boobie girl as DH says.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.