Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember holding out and waiting until after I missed my period before I found out I was preggers with DS, but how long can I actually wait from the time the deed was done to take a pregnancy test? I've heard 5 days before your period...is that still the case?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
With some sensitive tests, and depending on when you ovulate and when implantation occurs, women can get a positive test at 8 or 9 days past ovulation, which would be 5 or so days before their period if they have a 14 day luteal phase. Personally, I would prefer to wait until a missed period to test, as it still happens that sometimes one will get a positive on a very early and very sensitive pregnancy test and still get her period at the usual time. I don't think I could handle that myself, so I tried to avoid it after my first couple of months of very zealous early testing.

Edit: In other words, yes, with some tests and under certain circumstances, you can get an accurate result from a test taken that early. Some women (like me) choose to wait until after their period is late anyway, though. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It is pretty rare to get a positive before 10 DPO and I would wait until AF was late at least, as many women don't get their BFPs until then. It's easier to see AF show up than to see BFN after BFN.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not here. I cannot get a positive before 16dpo and I have a 16 day luteal phase. The average accurate test date I'm told is 13.5 which is 1/2 day before your period is due.

Not the five days claimed on the multiples of home pregnancy tests. That's how they sell them... that's why people buy so many. All those early tests, for naught.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just answered my own question as I started today. Oh well. This is actually a good thing though since my body was way out of whack last month, things are back to normal. Looking forward to 2009!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I'm taking a few months off before ttc again. In the past I was test obsessed and I tested every day starting at day 9 or so. I realize now that this really stressed me and dh out so when I ttc again I'd like to just test when I'm late.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TatianaTiger View Post
I'm taking a few months off before ttc again. In the past I was test obsessed and I tested every day starting at day 9 or so. I realize now that this really stressed me and dh out so when I ttc again I'd like to just test when I'm late.
That's what I did with DS - no biggie at all. I've just been a little anxious to TTC #2 and whenever it feels like it might be a possibility, I test. I'm done, too, until a few months from now....2009 is going to be the year of stability for our family!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.