Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious how long everyone tried to conceive? I know some people have a hard time and have to wait awhile before it happens. Me and My Love officially decided we wanted to have a baby and then 6 weeks later I missed my period. We were like boom! Ok that was easy

Do you think the amount of time it took you to conceive has effected the way you handle being pregnant?
Like I think if it took some time that you would appreciate it more than say me.
I've lived my whole life getting whatever I wanted, not really having to 'work' for anything-it was always given to me. Thus I tend not to appreciate things as much as I should
This makes me wonder if it had been harder for us to conceive maybe I would be even more grateful and take my whole pregnancy even more serious? IDK if I'm making sense -it's late and i'm getting tired- but if you get my point let me know

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
It didn't take us long either. 1 cycle. But, then again, I'd been charting for years and knew when our window of opportunity was. We both come from rather prolific families.

I don't know about the whole appreciation thing... it may be true, that if we had to work harder at getting PG we'd have a different perspective on things. Then again, I'm very happy that we are as laid back as we are, it makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It also took us only one cycle. We had been charting for close to 6 years though so we had a pretty good idea of our window of opportunity as well....

That being said we were still shocked that it happened as fast as it did!

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
With this 4th pg it took a while. My cycle returned after DS#2's birth, at 17 months, but with an extremely short luteal phase.

Finally when DS#2 was 32 months old, I conceived. This was after acupuncture treatment for my lifelong migraines and homeopathic treatments for several problems, including the headaches.

With #1, it took us 18 months to conceive
With #2, it took 1 month to conceive
With #3, it took about 3 months to conceive
With #4, it took 15 months to conceive

And I wanted and appreciated every one of those babies/pregnancies just the same...time to conceive really didn't make any difference...

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
It took us 8 LONG months. I was really getting completely frustrated by the time it happened. I was already looking at infertility clinics. I think if anything, it made me more nervous to be pregnant. I was already in such a doubtful place about it all that I had a hard time believing it would be a viable pregnancy. Unfortunately, I live the opposite of your life, ConfusedPrincess. I have had way TOO MUCH s**t to deal with in my life, including a lot of loss. It kind of makes it hard for me trust when things are going well. Having said all of that, I do feel really good about this pregnancy now and it does make me feel really hopeful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It took us a year and a half to conceive this baby, including a miscarriage. I definitely think the difficulty makes me appreciate this blessing even more. Before we started TTC I wanted to "plan" our life and was hoping for a fall baby and already thinking about future children. After we lost our first child and had difficulty conceiving this baby I am so greatful for what we have and am much more accepting of taking each day as it comes. Also, I feel very confident that DH and I are "Ready" to be parents and I am more compassionate towards others that have similar problems because I know more about how it feels.

That being said, I would never wish infertility on anyone and am sure I would be very happy if we never had any problems.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It took us 2 1/2 years to conceive this baby. After charting for umpteen months, 3 rounds of clomid, , 1 timed cycle, 2 IUI's and a magical IVF later...we are FINALLY pregnant with our 2nd.

It only took us 3 months to conceive DS#1.

I do completely cherish this pregnancy, but for some reason, I keep thinking that something is going to go wrong...like we messed with by Big Guy and He will strip this life from us. I am 22 weeks now and still feel the same way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Technically, 4 1/2 years. We were married, but didn't want to use birth control, so we left it up to God to decide. But by the time we were ready to make trying "official" it took almost 2 years. About 18 cycles charting. But all natural. We never had to see an RE. I consider our little one a true miracle and blessing.
:

Since this is our first, I can't compare to if it would have happened fast. But I am hoping for a "suprise" someday.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I got pregnant during the first and only time in my life without any sort of birth control, and I'm 40 years old. Now, I know that women my age often try very hard to conceive without success. I did not want any of the drama, so I decided never to actively try. The truth of the matter is that I was planning never to have children of my own, to adopt if possible at some point in the future. I think some people just go through life like I do: there is no "I must do this or else!". End of story. If I do end up gettting something good unexpectedly, I actually end up appreciating it more...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Both of our babies (dd and the one still inside) were conceived on the second cycle we tried. My first cycle of trying for #2 ended in an early m/c and then we got pregnant again the next time I ovulated.

I don't take my dd for granted or appreciate her any less than I would a baby that took a long time to conceive. I doubt you will either.

·
Registered
766 Posts
It took us about 10 months to conceive and we had a miscarriage in the process. I definitely take this one's health for granted much less than I did DD. I now realize what an amazing and lucky thing it is to have a healthy child. I worry more, but I also appreciate good news about her all that much more.

On the other hand, in some ways it's harder to bond with this baby because we had the m/c and because I have an older DD. I haven't had as much time to think / obsess over this pregnancy. It's a strange contradiction
I am more attached to this pregnancy but also less!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for replying everyone-i didn't know if anyone would...Wow it is inspiring to read from those of you who have had trouble and encountered a miscarraige along the way and yet you're all still so positive and somewhat laid back about the whole thing. That is awesome
I think I would freak out and get really down-but then again I have 0 patience

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, I'm kind of embarassed about this, but I've never actually "tried" to conceive and all three of my pregnancies have happened through birth control (DS#1 through condom, DS#2 progesterone only pill, DD#1 through seasonal which I was using to get my system back to normal after a horrible experience with Depo-Provera). I think I may try the copper ring this time. When we do decide we are officially done, I think DH and I are both going to be "fixed" just to be safe.

Oh, yeah, and I had been told when I was 18 that I would never be able to have kids...go figure.

Jennifer

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Babe #1 : several months of not preventing, and 8 months of actual trying (charting, etc).

Babe #2 : 2nd fetile post-partum cycle (4 months)

Babe #1 : 1st fertile post-partum cycle

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I can see that. For me, I was on a TTC board for almost a year before actually trying for our first. So I saw firsthand the struggles some women go through. I was petrified I would join their ranks. I have been so so very lucky with quick conception times, but I am aware of the alternative, so I am over-the-moon grateful that our tries have been quickly successful and I cherish each moment of pregnancy. These last two DC weren't first-try successes, so I've had a taste of a few months of seeing AF when she isn't wanted- and I know how much even that hurts and is so disappointing and nerve-wracking and all-consuming, so I can only imagine what it must be like to go for months and even years without a happy result. Again, makes me all the more appreciative!

But, does it take disappointment and heartbreak to truly appreciate being pg? No, I don't think so- I think you can be in love with your pre-born baby even if there was hardly any effort involved in getting pg.

·
Registered
465 Posts
With dd it took us 3 years to conceive but I was after chemoteraphy so I figured that my system just needed to return to normal.
With this one, it took us one night
. I knew when it would be the best chance and we did it. I knew we got pregnant right away, I just knew it!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.