Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long did you wait to introduce food? I am at least planning to BF exclusively for a year, but i kinda want to wait longer. DD is 6 months old and she'll grad stuff off my plate and i usually just take it away. Once she ripped the crust off my bread and i let her hold onto it to see what she'd do and she took it towards her mouth quickly, put it on her lips and then slowly moved it away from her mouth...then i took it. She also mimics us chewing. I hate it when people act like I am depriving her of "real food" Since she's never tasted it, she doesn't know what she's missing plus, she is content nursing so I'm not worried about her exclusively BF. I guess my question is, how long should I keep this up. Thanks

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I'm currently EBF my 28 lb 9 month old and will continue to do so until she literally rips food out of my hands and scarfs it down so quickly I can't get it back.

She does occasionally play with apples, carrots, bananas and avocadoes...but DEFINATELY doesn't make a meal out of it. It's pretty much entertainment.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ds1 was not having full on solids until 10 monts before that he would have an apple in a baby safe feeder from time to time. But If it were me I would start by giving her a spoon and see if she is satified with just playing. Some babies are ready for solids that young. If she really wants to try something maybe put a little peas mashed up real well for her on her tray and let her paint a little and just have some fun and follow her lead.

·
Registered
374 Posts
dd is 7 months and I'm not sure either, she grabs food, but she grabs everything! Waiting until she can feed herself sounds good, but yeah i'm really not sure either!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Dd was around 6 months. I followed the LLL recommendations for readiness signs: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html.

She didn't start eating enough to count as meals until around 9 months, and we only let her self feed until that time. At that point, I started adding some things like yogurt and oatmeal compote that we fed her occasionally. She still primarily self-feeds, and she is no longer nursing.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I waited almost 6 months. Until he took food and ate it himself. I think he had baby food 3 or so times, he hated it because he couldn't do it himself so I gave up on that. Besides those few times it's only been foods he can feed himself, either with fingers or a fork

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
maybe i need to clarify. I don't want to give her solids until she is about a year old, maybe longer. Am I being selfish cause I want to exclusively BF that long or longer?
i don't think it's selfish, no. but i think depending on the kid, waiting a year could be too long...just depends on their cues. i have no plan of when to start solids as i'm going by DD's cues. if she's ready in a month from now, we'll start then. if it's 6 months from now, we'll start then. i think it may be a bit sooner than later, but we'll see

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
:

:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Ds was 8 or 9 months when he started eating solids. I had wanted to BF him exclusively for a year but it was clear that he wanted food. He was grabbing and chewing when he saw me chew. I'm glad we let him have solids when we did. He has always been a good eater and he will try anything. I have to wonder if he would still be so willing to eat anything if I had kept tearing food from him. I would hate to give him a complex about food.

I did come to a point where I felt it was selfish of me to keep food from him. It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, all that matters is that you feel good about your decision. He still nurses too at 28 mo and I didn't find that he really nursed less after introducing food.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
dd is not quite 6 months and grabs everything off my plate and puts it to her mouth; come to think of it, she does that with whatever she can get her hands on
i think she's at the "taste all you can hold with your mouth" phase. i plan on EBFing for a year, or until she has all the readiness indicators coupled with the genuine interest in food- not the above described instance.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
DS chose to start eating right after he started walking at 11 m. I felt the two were connected...higher need for calories or something. I would follow her lead, she knows exactly what she needs and when.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
maybe i need to clarify. I don't want to give her solids until she is about a year old, maybe longer. Am I being selfish cause I want to exclusively BF that long or longer?
What's the issue? Are you afraid of allergy, or something? I really don't see the harm in offering some chewed up meat or broth (if you eat meat) or a bit of mashed avacado, or soft bits of fruit, etc.

I gave my DD tastes of things starting at 6 months, but she didn't really take off on eating solids until she was about 7 months - 7.5 months. And she still nursed a TON.

I mean a large part of eating is social, and for little ones, the exploration is a lot of fun
I just put food in front of her, and put a big plastic sheet under her high chair. . . .there did come a point, when she was really hungry, and I started shlepping around homemade, frozen baby food (frozen in ice cube trays, then stored in ziplock baggies). I just placed a cube or 2 in her Avent bottles, they were really convenient. (I pumped while at work)

DD did not wean until she was 4.5 years old. You'll know when to start offering foods, and start the weaning process. I just have to say, that it is a lot of fun. . . .

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My DS refused almost all food until 15 months. When he would accept food up until that point, usually he would chew on it for a very long while and eventually spit it out. So he really wasn't even ingesting the solids even when he appeared to be eating them. His health was great, he met milestones easily, all that, so I'm not at all concerned about the nutrition behind nursing exclusively for 12 months.

However, I do think you should seriously consider being more flexible and following the baby's cues. If the baby is ready at 6 months, offer the food. If the baby is ready at 10 months, offer the food. I just don't think there's much sense in refusing food to a baby who obviously wants some and is old enough, just to hold to a time limit you set before you even know how the baby is going to want or need things to be.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Why do you want to delay? Not judging, just wondering.

My DS began solids at 6 months. It's such a yummy adventure and fun. He still nurses a lot (10 months now) but eating is very social, we all eat together.

But as you can see from this post and the responses, everyone is different and all our LO's grow and eventually eat, no matter when they start solids. No one is going to kindergarten with EBM in their backpacks.
At least I don't think so...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I think it really depends on your baby. Dd was content to not have solids until 10 months and even then she was well over a year before she ate anything substantial. Ds was around 7 months when he first grabben my peach and devoured it, he just really wanted to eat. I don't think either way was better, just baby led.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.