Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 dd and another on the way. I love co-sleeping but worried we will run out of room soon. How long did your dc co-sleep and how did you get them in own bed?

·
Registered
380 Posts
A LONG time. My oldest till he was about 4. He was 2.5 when #2 was born. We had a king size so it was manageable for awhile. Older one in the middle baby on the side next to me. That worked great until #2 could roll and I was worried about him falling out of the bed. So #2 went in middle and #1 on side for awhile. I was the one uncomfortable and my dh wasn't liking it....so #1 got a mattress next to the bed for awhile. We finished building an addition to our house and got a set of bunkbeds for the boys room. #1 loved his own room and bed. When #2 was 2 he wanted to sleep in with his brother and has pretty much ever since. (He's almost 8 now) My #3 is 5 and she still cosleeps with us even though she has her own room. She always ends up in our bed or her brothers in the morning.

If you can get your 2.5 yo a bed and have cuddle time, stories and be able to get to sleep in there for at least the first 1/2 of the night then that does make it a little easier on cosleeping only being 1/2 a night.

·
Registered
491 Posts
DS will be 4 at the end of August and we still co-sleep. Although, he has been asking to sleep in his room and actually slept the whole night there last night

DH and I *love* co-sleeping, and as DS will be our only child, it is particularly bittersweet to see him starting the move to his own room.

We've always let DS know that he has his own room and he is welcome to sleep there anytime he likes. I think kids do make up their own minds and, when they're ready, make the switch. I've heard this referred to as "child-led weaning" from co-sleeping. Every kid is different, but I think the majority do decide on their own to sleep separate.

Sorry, I feel like I've rambled more than helped...

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
DS (5 in August) & DD (7) still co sleep. At this point we have a king bed and two twin mattresses in our room and they spend at least part of the night on their own mattress.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
My 5.5 year old and 2.5 year old are both in my bed. I'm not really sure what to do about it... or IF I should do something about it... Sometime the big one says she wants to sleep in her own bed but when bedtime rolls around she says she's too scared.

·
Registered
341 Posts
DS is 3 and we are still co-sleeping. DD is a part-time co-sleeper, she's either in with us or sidecar. We have a queen, but it's not too tight. A king would be nice though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My almost 6 yr. old still cosleeps and he says he wants his own room to play but that he still wants to sleep w/ me

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Dd is 5y 8m and counting. She does have her own bed, twin, right next to our, king, and ds sleeps with us as well 21mo.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My now 8 yr old moved out (her decision) at 5.5yrs, my now 6 yr old moved out at 4.5 yrs, she wanted to sleep in the big bed with her big sister. My 10 month old sleeps with DH & I and will until he decides to move out. My dd's are welcomed anytime, they come into us every morning and take DS to their playroom. We have a king, slept on queen for a bit early on with the 2 dd's. All 5 of us fit in the king.
Good luck! The family bed is one of the best parenting decisions we ever made. We practice 'active' cosleeping and it makes a huge difference in many ways.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Both of mine still sleep with us. #1 was 2.5 when #2 was born- he wasn't ready for his own bed yet. We pushed a twin mattress up to our queen sized bed, it's wonderful! #1 sleeps in between DH and I- #2 sleeps on my side with a rail gaurd. They're 3 and 8 mths now. I think it's important to let them decide when to leave if at all possible

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
DD is 10 1/2 and still co-sleeps. I think she'd be in her own room if she didn't have an anxiety disorder, but we are in no rush and she can sleep with us as long as she wants. We have a king size futon on a frame and when/if we ever have more kids we plan to put a single bed next to it to make a giant bed

I know people who do it that way and I know people who have a king size bed or two and a couple twin beds and everyone just sleeps in whichever one they want that night.

In "The Family Bed" book this girl in pre-med said that until someone brought it up in class about kids sleeping with their parents being weird she had no idea because her and her brother slept with their parents until they left for college and when they came home from college they still slept with them sometimes. Although it seems extreme to some I think when my dd is 16 and still wants to sleep with us it won't seem so weird. Just like I could never picture nursing a toddler, but when it's your kid it just seems to come naturally.

For most of the families I know their kids showed interest in sleeping in their own bed at some point....anywhere between ages 3 and 7 or 8...usually depending on their personality. I don't think you ever have to worry about weaning them from sleeping with you---I think they just do it automatically.....ofcourse if you want them to do it sooner than they want to then that is a seperate issue.

·
Registered
242 Posts
WHen DS #1 was 20 mo our queen was getting a little too small for all of us so we moved him to a twin matress on the floor in our room. One of us still slept with him most of the night. Then a few mos later moved it to his room where one of us would be in there with him most of the night. THen to get him to fall asleep on his own we created the open door policy: GO to sleep in you own bed and when you wake you can crawl in with us (regardless of the time)! With many check ins from us as he layed in his bed (in the beginning we'd take turns checking every 5 min...this kept him in his bed rather than coming to see what we were doing. Also I found if I did something noisy like unlaoding the dishwasher he'd fall asleep because then he knew where I was and wasn't calling out asking where I was! Kinda funny.) and encouragement it worked well and has been a great insentive to get him to sleep in his own bed. Now he is almost 4 and a frequent visitor (usually not until 5am or so), but we all love it. We now have a king matress and a 9mo sharing our bed, but space is no longer a problem. All of the above took about 1year to transition.

·
Registered
137 Posts
DS #1 slept with us until he was 7. He still has sleepovers, but he has to be in his own bed most of the night bc he kicks and punches in his sleep. DS #2 decided that he wanted to sleep in the same room as his older brother and he's 4. He didn't mind moving to his own room. So now it's just me and DS #3 who's almost 6 months old and sometimes DH if he doesn't fall asleep in fron tof the TV.
Angeline

·
Registered
108 Posts
Our ds1 is almost 5 and our ds2 is 2, and we still co-sleep. Getting rid of our bed and placing a king-sized mattress next to a twin mattress on the floor has worked very well for us. We don't have to worry about anyone falling out of bed and it's a lot of fun for bouncing all day!

Congratulations on your expanding family!
Sheri

·
Registered
18 Posts
DS's age 5 and 3 still sleep with us. We put them to sleep in their queen bed in the evening. Funny thing is, DS who's 3 makes it in the queen until about 11 p.m. then comes to our bed -- but DS who's 5 only makes it about an hour until we have to put him in the lvng room on the couch to sleep until we're ready to go to bed. He has real issues about being alone - not sure why -- we've always co-slept and everything else -- I stay home with them. I guess it's just his personality.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Not even close to long enough.

My dd asked at 3 1/2 years old if she could have her own bed in her own bedroom...just out of the blue she asked, we said yes with the assumption that it would never last. Then we all went to bed and our DS (just about to turn 2) screamed for his sister...so we let him sleep in there with her. It's been about 6 months now and they are still sleeping together without us.
I cried for weeks, and I still wish one or both of them would come back to bed with me, dang it, I miss them.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
DD is 4 and in her own bed beside our bed and I don't see her moving anytime soon especially with the new baby on the way

tara

·
Registered
84 Posts
My son is 2.5 and he started sleeping on a twin mattress on the floor next to our bed almost two months ago and has never turned back. He isn't quite ready for his own room since a lot of the time I find us asleep holding hands
This works out great for all of us. Everyone is sleeping more.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
My oldest was almost 4 when he announced that he wanted his own bed, and we bought him one. He has been sleeping there, for the most part, ever since. When he asks to sleep in our bed, we let him. When his brother was born, we put a twin bed next to ours to make one big bed, which gave us all extra room.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts