Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am (hopefully) going to try for a VBAC.
I had no trial of labor with my breech baby. How long do midwives wait after the due date to suggest induction or c-section with vbacs? My mom was assuming it would be 2 weeks, but I doubt that. Is there an outer limit? 3? 4?
My parents are flying in from Africa, and although I suggested they wait 2 weeks after the edd, they are thinking jout one, based on the assumption mentioned above. I'm thinking of trying to get them to wait at least a few more days, but part of the problem is that they really want to see me pregnant. I know they're not the boss or the only factor involved, but I'd still like them tobe here for the whole thing, too. (They can only be gone 3 weeks total).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,097 Posts
It depends on the midwife. Mine listens to the mother's request and accomidates that. I know she has had several moms that went to 43 weeks and one that was 44.5 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
It depends on the midwife and laws of your state. I have heard (not sure if it is true) that in Texas homebirth midwives are supposed to transfer care after 42 weeks. If this is a law I would suppose not all midwives follow it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
ITA w/pp. And some midwives will kinda look at the dates first given, and on the first prenatal visit, will work w/clients to have an added timeframe in there, just in case. I know several ladies who really do carry to 43 weeks, so the mw watches a little more carefully after 42, and as long as all is well, and the baby is moving a lot, then they homebirth. Some mw will use homeopathics to encourage the lady to have more frequent contractions(once they have already started). Many c/s are done on breech babies who would have turned had the moms not been induced in the hospital before 40 weeks. Especially for multiparas....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,376 Posts
My midwives would start to talk about other options at 42 or 43weeks. My dd was 10 days past her EDD and they kept reassuring me that she would come when she was ready
Thank goodness she didn't keep us waiting TOO long
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. The midwife at the birth center I'm going with is very hands-off, so I don't know how long it would be--a very long time, I think, before she'd try to do anything. Another CNM I interviewed at a hospital said they strip membranes at 41 weeks. I guess that's something I need to research--do you just let them stay idefinitely, or are they really at risk for stress & meconium passing, etc. So much to learn!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
my midwives went by the mother and child's condition. if i had still been pregnant at 41.5 weeks, they asked i undergo a biophysical profile to ensure everything was fine with the baby, then they could take me as long as i went (i had him at 40w3d, though, so that was a moot point
).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
I think it depends on the midwife. My midwives send you in for non-stress tests starting at 41 weeks, but they do not induce at all so they pretty much just wait it out unless there is a problem. Then I would transfer to the OB to be induced or go straight to a c-section. My last baby was born 2 days before his due date so I am hoping that I don't have to worry about it this time either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
I asked my mw at 41w how long over I could go (because I was freaking out thinking I was on a deadline of 42w) and she said she was comfortable going to 43w as long as baby and I seemed fine.


Luckily she decided to come at 41w3d.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top