Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I figured out why I didn't get pregnant last month. I am ovulating on the 8th or 9th day, but then my cycle is lasting into the 32nd day. Well, at least that is how it is this time. I am trying NOT to get pregnant this month, I am feeling wary of another babe and want to enjoy my pregnancy whole heartedly. (Which of course I would!) BUT, I would rather wait awhile. SOOOO..here is my question.

I started my period on the 17th of September after 5 or so days of spotting. I had it for about 5 days or so. Then on CD9, we bedded. That would have been on the 25th of this month. You know what...I have to mark it out, so I don't get confused!

17th- CD1 Finally got AF after 5 days of spotting brown and red
18th-CD2
19th-CD3
20th-CD4
21st-CD5
22nd-CD6
23rd-CD7
24th-CD8
25th-CD9 bedded
26th-CD10
27th-CD11 ovulating!!! Pain in ovary with heavy EWCM (TMI!!)
28th-CD12 ovulating!!! EWCM overnight felt like I wet my pants
29th-CD13
30th-CD14
1st-CD15

So anyways!! I thought that it would be safe to bed with my DH as I wasn't going to ovulate for another 5-6 days. But I did two days later. Is there a chance that I could get pregnant?

· Registered
4,298 Posts
with fertile cm, they can survive 5 days. so yes, you could have conceived. in fact, that's how we conceived in august. we had sex 2-3 days before i ovulated, and not again that week, and the test was positive. so it can happen.

· Registered
89 Posts
Ummmm....YES.

Depending upon the quality of your fertile CF, spermies can live up to 5 days (which is very unlikely, but does happen). The norm is 2-3 days. Most pregnancies occur from preovulatory sex, since it takes the little guys quite a few hours to swim up to the fallopian tubes.

No worries though! You will be happy either way, right? I hope this helps a bit! Good luck -

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue- I love the ummmm...YES!

I would be happy either way. I am a strong believer in fate, as with DD #2, we bedded three times in three days using protection three times! And here she is. I thought whoopee, a sex drive, and now I know I was ovulating for the first time in a year and a half. My girls are 15 months apart. I love her so much!
So when we didn't get pregnant last month I knew it was for a reason! I would much rather wait and have the little one I am supposed to have and love. So, just to make sure...

We bedded at about 11:00pm on the 25th.
It was definately around 4-5pm on Saturday that I felt my ovary and started to have EWCM. So that would be less then 48 hours. Who knows!

Joel, my husband, says this is all my fault, unless we have a boy, then it is his fault! Trying to take all the credit for a boy, as usual! I guess we will just wait and see. When I was positive last night that I was ovulating, I decided NOT to BD, but now I will join the 2ww with everyone. I would be happy to have the decision taken out of my hands.

One more question, I am not sure what my CF or CM was like a couple of days ago. How would I know if it was good or not? Also, would there be a higher percentage of it being a girl because ovulation was two days later and the boy swimmers would be dead?

· Registered
89 Posts
That is a very good question, Sarah. From what I've read, it goes like this. Some women have loads more fertile cf than others. Some women are more acidic than alkaline biologically. Acid is more conducive to girl sperm and alkaline to boy sperm. You probably already know all this, being a doula.

So the ambiguous answer to your question is, if you are fertile murtle, your body may have been producing fertile cf just prior to your seeing ewcf. If so, you could easily have sustained sperm for a couple of days.

However, your ovulation day is typically the last day of ewcf. Are you still seeing ew? I actually have never used an ovulation predictor. Have you ovulated yet? If you did today, and the last time you bd was 11PM on the 25th., what's that, like 2.5-3 days prior to ovulation? Chances are good here, especially with your quantity of ewcf, but then again, you may have missed it by a day.

I'd guess it to be a girl, if you are! It is more likely. But that doesn't mean anything but a difference in odds. I'm not sure if I understand your question on cf the day you "did it". Did you check or notice any before hand? It is really hard for me to tell anything for most of the day after we've, you know...

Good luck DoulaSarah!

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The day that we bedded, I am not sure what my CM was like. I know that it wasn't EW, maybe it was pasty but not stringy yet. So, I guess what I wondered was if it had to be EW when I bedded. It was EWCM about 40 hours afterwards, and i do think that I ovulate at the beggining of the cycle. So basically it was..

CD9- 11:00pm- BD "cervical status unknown"
CD10 - ALL DAY I didn't feel anything
CD11- Ovulating around 5pm or so, I had cervical pain and
immediate EWCM
CD12- Heavy EWCM
CD13- Still having really sharp pains in my left ovary with
creamy CF, but still feeling like I peed my pants.

So, it was about 40 hours of hangin' out for the swimmers, but I suppose they possibly have made it. Probably only a 5% chance though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.