Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted something about this in the BF complicaitons thread.

When I first found out I was preg, I was like "maybe I'll try to BF, I dont know if Ill be able to manage my migraines and who knows if it'll work for me."

Now, 7 mos into it, I think: how will I ever stop bf'ing? I have to go back to work in September, and I just keep thinking of how hard it'll be to only nurse before and after work. DS will be 1 year by then.

I was with some other mamas today and was pleasantly suprised to see one of my friends nursing her 18 mo old.

Its sort of crazy, I never knew I would love nuring my love so much. I feel like I am filling him with life. I guess because he is sort of on a nursing strike, I am getting all emotional...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
With my first my goal was a year, and we sailed right past it. I realized that providing him with something he truly needed was more important than an arbitrary cut off date, and nursed him for as long as he wanted. He weaned at 26.5 months. I have every intention to nurse my new little guy for at least that long.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Till I dry up or DD gives it up...First one was both FF and BF. At ten months no more FF and still BF'd till 17 months..She just lost interest I guess I would offer and she would just lay her head on my breast and fall off to sleep.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
With dd we got off to a rough start and that made me really appreciate every day of our nursing relationship...she nursed exclusively for 11.5m, and self-weaned right around 4y (although we nightweaned when she was 3y and I was prego again). Ds is 15m and still going strong. I will nurse him until at least 2y and then let him take the lead.

It's such an amazing experience, and you really don't know until you're in it! With dd, the weaning process was very slow....very gradual...I thought for sure I would remember in detail the "last" time she nursed. I don't. In fact, she really wanted to last week when ds was nursing to sleep so I let her try. She latched on for a few seconds, looked up at me, and laughed in a really cute way. She still talks about nursing and remembers it though and she'll be 5y next week. I'm pretty sure ds is my last baby though, and I wonder if it will be a more sentimental progression this time.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
when i was pregnant with dd1 i thought about the same thing. i figured i would bf for 3 or 4 months and then go back to work. shoot i didnt even realize they need bm or formula for at least a year. i was pretty well clueless. then i saw a tv show about elimination communication. i decided we were going to do it. i researched it which led me to the large yahoo group about it, the first webgroup i joined. i learned so much there about natural living and the continuum concept and it just went on from there. i bought a pump and tried to return to work when she was only a few months old, but she wouldn't take my ebm from a bottle. i was learning about AP and just felt how much she needed me, even tho her father was a sahd at the time. i only worked a few shifts (he fed her from a glass, helping her drink it)and then took myself back off the on call list. i went back again when she was a year old(dad stayed home) and used my pump on breaks. i only worked for 6 months. i just couldn't take being away from her, and she wanted me with her too. i ended up breastfeeding until she was 3.5. and i thought it would only be 3 months...loved every bit of it, except i wonder about how we weaned and i have wishes it was different but thats another thread. dd2 i have a goal of more clw. i am going as long as she wants to, or as long as my body makes milk whichever comes last.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I've always thought I would breastfeed 2-3 years, and I'm still happy with that amount. I am 14 weeks pg and my supply is dropping, so I'm not sure if Dd will make it, but I really hope she goes to 2yo.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My minimum goal is a year but I will go longer. I will nightwean at a year though because I am dead to the world when I am working my set. Ds weaned himself at 17 months. He just wasn't interested anymore. Even though I would offer all 5 days in a row we had after my set. He just didn't want to anymore. So I stopped offering. He tried to latch a few times after that a few months down the road when we were bathing together but had forgotten how to suck or lost the instinct I guess. I hope dd goes longer because I will have more time at home with her.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I didn't plan.

I just took it as it came and when she was born I thought "Let's see if I can get her started with nursing at least."

Then 3 mos rolled by and I thought "Maybe we can go to 6." 6 went to 9 mos, 9 to 12 mos, and it ended up at 4 years 8 mos.

Just with me thinking "well, we are at X. Let's see if there's still milk 3 mos from now..."

A.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
there were a couple of things i was adamant about. bf and cosleeping. yet i never had a timeline. i said for as long as my dd wanted it. it was just easier to say that than say 2 years or 4 years.

yet on dd's first bday i was surprised we were still nursing. for many reasons. my marriage was breaking down. i was working part time so pumping and bf. by 2 my dd was in dc, ex and i had split and i was again surprised on her second bday that we were still nursing.

after that i never looked back.

but if anyone ever told me when i was pregnant that i would be nursing a 6 1/2 year old i would say no way. i cant imagine doing it. and today i say i cant imagine NOT doing it when my dd still wants it.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Peak View Post
Now, 7 mos into it, I think: how will I ever stop bf'ing? ...
I think about this pretty regularly.

My LO is tiny, so we aren't anywhere near weaning, but I have gone from preferring breastfeeding & breastmilk to having a terror of giving her anything else!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Not sure I really started off with a goal but ds weaned just shy of 4, dd1 was almost 2 (and I still regret that one but my nipples were really sore from pregnancy), dd2 was almost 4, dd3 is 2 1/2 and still nursing, and dd4 is only 4 months so she has a while to go.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.