Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After cueing? Sometimes I'm sitting there for minutes, then finally give up, put her diaper back on... and she goes.
: I don't want the cue sound to become meaningless for saying it over and over when she's not going to go, but sometimes I KNOW she's probably going to go sometime soon. And other times she goes immediately as soon as I make the sound, so if she doesn't... does that mean she doesn't have to go?

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
I hate that. I think, although I haven't tested it myself and need to, that it's a situation where multiple potty places would help.

I have had some luck with giving Lina a finger or breast to suck on. She'll suck a few times, relax from the arching "I don't have to pee, really!!!" pose, then let go of the suck and go.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the cueing becoming meaningless. A cue means, either, "you're peeing! This is the sound mommy makes for pee!" OR "This is a good time/place to go potty." I would cue when you get her in the potty place, and then if she does go, cue WHILE she's peeing. That way you get both "this is a good place to pee" and "you're peeing!" all in one little potty op!

Your DD is still very little. I would probably wait 30-60 seconds, and then re-diaper her. If you're sure she needs to poop or pee or something, then by all means, offer longer, but if you're just using timing, then a minute should be plenty.

Does it mean she doesn't have to go if she doesn't respond to the cue? Eeh, hard to say. Maybe she doesn't know she has to go, maybe she's uncomfortable or cold or not relaxing, it could be any number of things. DS is two, and he's been ABLE to pee on cue since he was probably 6 weeks old. Does that mean he always does if he has to? Definately not. Sometimes it takes a little convincing and patience.

Sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mommas! I am only doing timing, and catch anywhere from 0-4 pees a day. I wish I had more EC friendly clothing, and could somehow get over this hump, b/c at this point it seems so impossible to EC... but at the same time, she pees so often (sometimes 4 times in 10 minutes) that I'm getting tired of changing diapers!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexmas View Post
I wouldn't worry about the cueing becoming meaningless. A cue means, either, "you're peeing! This is the sound mommy makes for pee!" OR "This is a good time/place to go potty." I would cue when you get her in the potty place, and then if she does go, cue WHILE she's peeing. That way you get both "this is a good place to pee" and "you're peeing!" all in one little potty op!

Your DD is still very little. I would probably wait 30-60 seconds, and then re-diaper her. If you're sure she needs to poop or pee or something, then by all means, offer longer, but if you're just using timing, then a minute should be plenty.

Does it mean she doesn't have to go if she doesn't respond to the cue? Eeh, hard to say. Maybe she doesn't know she has to go, maybe she's uncomfortable or cold or not relaxing, it could be any number of things. DS is two, and he's been ABLE to pee on cue since he was probably 6 weeks old. Does that mean he always does if he has to? Definately not. Sometimes it takes a little convincing and patience.

Sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up!
yes, exactly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.