Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to just sit down without distractions, maybe a tv show or radio on so your not too bored, but nothing that will make you stop and put your knitting down. How long would it take you to finish a soaker from begining to end? Also how long have you been knitting?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I just made my first soaker, and without distractions it probably would have been about 4 or so hours, at a guess, I'm really not sure because I had *lots* of distractions, it ended up being spread over three nights. It was a really easy pattern, the Ottobre freebie pattern. I've been knitting since I was 9 or 10, on and off, but really just started knitting in earnest when everyone started having babies, about 5 years ago now. I have pictures posted in another thread--I'm quite proud of my soaker!

Alison

ETA the pattern that I used also uses heavy yarn and 6mm needles, which is probably the main reason it was so fast. The one I'm working on now with worsted it definitely going to take longer.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Probably an afternoon if it was a fairly simple pattern -- I'm working on soaker shorts now with a cable on each side that are taking significantly longer because I keep double- and triple-checking to make sure I'm on the right row.

I love the way cables look but they frustrate me to no end!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Depends on the size. There is a HUGE diffence between knitting toddler size soaker shorts and a newborn soaker. The newborn soaker probably took around 4-6 hours if you take out distractions. The toddler shorts probably took 16-20 hours. same yarn and needles. I am a pretty new knitter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have to commiserate with the last couple posts: it's taken me 3 days to do a guage swatch for my 1st soaker (and I've been knitting for a few years). Imagine my exasperation when the swatch was a whole inch off....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
I love the way cables look but they frustrate me to no end!
omg girl get stitch and bitch!
I messed up on them so bad til i read it in there.
she writes it so perfectly.
you only need to cross every third row.
nak so i can go grab the book but maybe someone else can post the page #

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Okay, I think the real question here is, How fast do you knit? I was just reading Knitting Without Tears and she says she knits "fairly fast" at a rate of 45 sts/minute. Take a newborn soaker with 70 sts per row, 7 rows per inch and and a rise of 13 inches. If you knit 45 sts/minute, it would take you about 2.5 hours to knit. (I realize there are less stitches when you split for the legs, but it takes longer to decrease and do the crotch seam and do the ribbing at the top, so I'm just counting 70 sts/row all the way to the bottom for simplicity sake.) For a soaker with a cast on of 110 stitches and a rise of 18 inches, it would take a little over 5 hours to knit. If you're a bit slower and knit only 30 sts/min (2 seconds per stitch), it would take 3.5 or over 7.5 hours respectively to knit a soaker.

Sorry, reading that got me thinking so I had to do the math...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Wow. I thought I was moving pretty fast but some of you are really fast!
I just knitted my first soaker, and first knitting project since I made pot holders when I was 5. It took me about a week to finish. I was able to knit for about an hour or 2 a day. It was a medium size one if that makes a difference.

amy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts