Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started DS on the potty about a year ago (after a failed attempt at EC). He's been in underwear full-time for about six months. We decided to put him in underwear all the time because if he's in a diaper, he'll just go, instead of using the potty. He still won't poop in the potty and he has accidents all the time. He completely understands what the potty is for, tells me when he needs to go, etc. But then he'll pee on himself and not even seem to notice. He had two or three accidents at daycare today and one at home, but he also used the potty several times today.

Is it normal for it to take this long? When do they normally stop having accidents constantly?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
both of my kids potty trained quickly between 18 mos. and 2 and had very few accidents after that. My little guy is 21 mos., potty trained about 2 mos. ago, and has stayed at about 2-3 accidents per week for the past month, only pee, never poop accidents.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
All 3 of my boys took about a week to be day tiem dry 90% of the time. After potty boot camp week they all 3 did really well not having accidents during the day. They were between 26 and 30 months.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
DS trained himself in one day at 28 months -- he was just ready, and announced to me that he'd like to wear underwear now. So, I put him in underwear and he's never had an accident, day or night, since then (he's 35 months now).

I think if you wait until they're really really ready, it happens fast. We tried a bit right around his second birthday and he just wasn't into it, so we completely backed off and went back to diapers. 4 months later, he decided that was that -- no looking back!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by limabean View Post
DS trained himself in one day at 28 months -- he was just ready, and announced to me that he'd like to wear underwear now. So, I put him in underwear and he's never had an accident, day or night, since then (he's 35 months now).

I think if you wait until they're really really ready, it happens fast.
This is how it was with us too, except that my DD was about 30 months before she was ready.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
if DS is bottomless, naked, or wearing his undies, he does just fine. But as soon as he's in his diaper he goes back to peeing right in there. Sometimes after I put it on him, he'll barely pee on it and wants a new one or his undies back. He's been RELUCTANTLY pooping in the potty. He's been holding it and waiting to poop once every 2-3 days. The first few times he did that there was a little bit of blood at the end of the poop but he's getting the hang of it and is not so afraid to poop anymore. At least he's crying less when he poops anyway. When he poops I have to put the potty in the bathroom and close the door until he's done so he doesn't try to run away. DS loves to pee in his potty but since he pees every 30 min. I think he's sometimes relieved to just have a diaper on so he doesn't have to think about it. He always wears a diaper when we leave the house and for sleeping. We've been doing this for about 1 1/2 mos, sometime after he turned 2.

·
Registered
139 Posts
if he does fine with pee when he's wearing undies i would just leave him in undies and let him have a diaper when he lets you know he needs to poop!

i worked in preschool and some children would get horribly constipated from holding it and scared of pooping because when your constipated it hurts. some children view poop as part of their body and it scares them to see it in the potty, others are somewhat ashamed of pooping from hearing us say oh yuck or oh stinky over and over so pooping is often harder to do and takes longer.

just let him have the control and he'll eventually be ready to poop in the potty!

my ds is still in diaps after several tries at pl so i'm just sitting back waiting with my fingers crossed that he gets as far as your son soon!

·
Registered
217 Posts
My son was about 3 and a half. I know that seems a little old, but I did not want to push him and be potty training for months on end like I saw with my nephew. He would go occasionally between the age of 2 and 3 and a half on the potty but when he was 3 1/2, he decided that he was ready to do it full time. He wore diapers at night for about a week and then he told me that he really didnt need the diapers and he could last the night. We have had no relapses and only 1 accident - during the day from being too excited - in the past 6 months. He just turned 4 and it is not an issue at all and really never was because it just happened very naturally.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
My daughter is 3.5. She has been out of diapers during the day for a year and a half. She wakes up dry every morning but if we don't put a diaper on her at night, she pees in the bed about 1/3 of the time. She has NEVER pooped in the potty and absolutely REFUSES to do so. It is very frustrating, but we're just trying to be patient.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
So are there any success stories for DCs who took a long time to get the potty thing down.

My babysitter is NOT helpful (totally passive), and we've been working on pottying on & off for oh, 6 months. I'm at my wit's end, b/c when DD's w/me and we work on it, she does FINE.

And in terms of putting DD in a diaper for poops - she often has several per day, and they're not at a consistent time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I remember being frustrated that my ds did not want to use the potty for a long time after he knew how to control his bladder and bowel. But when he told me he was ready he truely was and only had three accidents at night over the course of a month. He was 3.5 by the time it was all said and done.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
DD recently potty trained. She is 23 months old. She only has pee accidents if I don't take her diaper off of her as soon as she starts to wake up. If I wait 5 minutes, she can't hold it. Otherwise, she doesn't have any accidents. It took about 3 days to get to this point. She will pee in the potty, but only poops in the toilet. She had a bit of difficulty with pooping at first. She was used to positioning herself into a full squat, and you can't do that on a potty/toilet. So for a few days the poop landed next to the potty.
I still put a diaper on her for naps/night since I am sometimes slow to get her when she starts waking. I am not brave enough yet to go diaper free in public for more than an hour.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
DD was ready at 24 months. We put panties on her and never put another diaper on her. She's had maybe 5 accidents since. She even pooped on the potty the very first day. I don't know, I guess she was just totally ready for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.