Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
a few seconds if my breasts are very full, maybe 15 sec if not so full, then if it's a long nursing session I'll have a couple more letdowns during

if he's nursing on and off for a long period I may not feel a let down each time he reattaches

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I never feel let down, but when I pump I can see that it usually takes up to a minute or more and as much as two minutes on my right side. I just got a brand new Medela Pump in Style Advanced, which has 2 modes (the fast sucking in the beginning and the long slow sucks), and I let down so much quicker now, it is amazing. I've always had slow let down, but with this new machine, I can let down in under 30 seconds usually! I had an old Medela Pump in Style before (1995, and on the 3 kid), and my new one is so much more comfortable and quicker. Anyway, relaxation is the key.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
With the munchkin, one minute or so. Pumping, forever. Lately I've been having ds suck until the letdown b/c otherwise it never happens. I even got an electic (thinking the manual pump was the problem) but it hasn't solved the problem. Bummer.

·
Registered
13,152 Posts
So, good idea, have a drink at hand. Another idea, if baby is impatient or it takes too long with the pump, massage the breasts beforehand, roll the nipples too.

Massage as you would for a breast exam, in small circles all around the breast. Then lean over and shake the breasts, letting gravity help too.

Never slide your fingers over the skin, which can cause damaging friction.

If baby doesn't want to wait, put her on breast A, then massage breast B, which will stimulate a letdown in both breasts.

With reluctant nursers, use breast compression at any time.

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/breas...ion_01-03.html

·
Registered
344 Posts
Before I can even get him latched on I'm POURING milk... ARG! Wish it would take a few minutes, personally cause I'm so new to this breastfeeding thing, and both of us end up soaked! I get the giggles seeing poor little Micah with milk all over his face. He's too cute... LOL

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
When my breasts are engorged I can let down before she even latches on, sometimes all DD has to do is brush her lips over me just once!
:
But, on normal occassions it takes about 15 seconds. I always figured that was pretty fast, but reading that anything between 10 to one minute is normal makes me feel better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.