Mothering Forum banner

How long have you been married/ together and how happy is your marriage?

• 1-3 years, happy

Votes: 33 10.5%
  • 1-3 years, coasting/ neither happy nor unhappy

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 1-3 years, troubled/ unhappy

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4-7 years, happy

Votes: 69 21.9%
  • 4-7 years, coasting/ neither happy nor unhappy

Votes: 17 5.4%
  • 4-7 years, troubled/ unhappy

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 8-12 years, happy

Votes: 92 29.2%
  • 8-12 years, coasting/ neither happy nor unhappy

Votes: 22 7.0%
  • 8-12 years, troubled/ unhappy

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • 13-19 years, happy

Votes: 28 8.9%
  • 13-19 years, coasting/ neither happy nor unhappy

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 13-19 years, troubled/ unhappy

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 20+ years, happy

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • 20+ years, coasting/ neither happy nor unhappy

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 20+ years, troubled/ unhappy

Votes: 0 0.0%

How long have you been married/ together and how happy is your marriage?

1K views 64 replies 64 participants last post by  StrongSingleMama 
#1 ·
How happy is your marriage/ relationship and how long have you been together?

#6 ·
Dp and I have been together 5 years, 6 in August. The first few years were pretty tumultuous, on again, off again kind of thing. We went through a lot together including a miscarriage that was really hard on both of us and we grew much closer and more in love. When I was pregnant with my son it was the happiest, closest time of our relationship. We went through some hard times after ds's birth due to dp losing his job and having to take a night shift job. I held onto a lot of resentment about him not being able to help me with our son and not paying attention to us because he was asleep during the day when we were needing him and away at night when I really needed him too. It took a while to mend those wounds and let go of the feeling of being let down by him. A few months ago I told him that I was falling in love with him again. He said he felt the same. We have grown closer again and now we are having another baby which although a surprise we are excited and happy about. So....to make a long story short- I voted we're happy.

#7 ·
6 years next month and we're coasting. We actually hit a rough spot two years ago when he changed his ideas of what a husband and wife's roles in a marriage are and I started feeling very held back. That's always on the surface but we've managed to almost overcome that. Almost. We're getting there.

#8 ·
We've been together 16 1/2 years, married 11 years. We're happy -- have our ups and downs like any couple and a few sticking issues in our relationship. But in general we do very well with each other and are best friends.

#15 ·
High school sweethearts, too, who have had some rocky times. It's one reason we've held off on having kids...we knew that it wasn't right to bring kids into a rocky relationship.

We've been in therapy for a while now, though, and things are looking great. I can't say enough about a good therapist. It's amazing how much happier we are.

#17 ·
We've bene together four-ish years and things have been great pretty much good since the get-go. We fell in love at first sight, and when things got really tought we've been able to remember that obviously something bigger than us brought us together

Most of our rough times are either financially related or because of DH's HUGE case of ADHD. He's finally working on getting stable medication for the ADHD and it's made an amazing change -- He's got this totally with-it Rockstar side that's taken over since he started on meds. We've always been happy with one another, but I love feeling like we're coming into a great new stage in our relationship with his medication and our careers.

#22 ·
We have been together 16 years and married for almost 15 years (July 11). We are happy for the most part. We went through a rough patch when number three came along and have had to work through my non-communication personality, but overall it's been really good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.