Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time mom here.<br>
We got my 2 month old a baby swing a week or so ago because he was having a hard time taking naps in the day and getting really fussy. He loves the swing and naps happily and easily in it, and is much happier when he is awake because he is more rested.<br><br>
My question is: For how long a period and how many times is it safe for him to nap in the swing? Sometimes I see him going back and forth so much and I wonder if his head and other body parts are sloshing around too much with all that movement!<br>
should I use the swing just for him to get to the sleep stage (in the day) or is it okay for a whole nap to take place while swinging?<br>
what about a couple of times a day?<br>
thanks!<br>
BTW I did ask my pediatrician about napping in the swing and he said it was fine. I forgot to ask him for how long though!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I remember worrying that my ds was in the swing too much too - but really, they will (as ds did) outgrow the swing phase within the next few months so while it's working for him to nap there and spend the whole nap there, I wouldn't worry about how much he's in there. Glad you found something that works for you and your ds!

·
Registered
442 Posts
My kid slept every night in the swing for the first 3 months of her life. A friend's kid is still sleeping in his carseat every night at 5 months (reflux issues).<br><br>
If it works, go for it.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
sounds like you found what works for you!<br><br>
you could try turning the swing off once he falls asleep and see if he stays asleep (some of those sleep "experts" recommend non-motion naps.) my babe would usually wake up so that was a no-go for us.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
if it works, there is no reason to worry. by now, i would think these things are designed to be sooooo ergonomically "sound".<br><br>
dd1 loved to nap in her swing. of course, we ended up never getting her to nap well anywhere else besides the car or carrier unless i laid down & nursed her.<br><br>
yet here we are again with dd2 napping in the swing. i guess for me-it's about surviving day by day-lol!<br><br>
dd2 slept in her vibrating seat jammed into the mini co sleeper the 1st 6 weeks cuz of gas...it worked so we just went with it.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
DS lived in his swing for the first few months-he slept in it many nights at the side of our bed. I just made sure his head wasn't slouched over. I don't think we would have made it through the first few months without it!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Just watch that his head isn't in the same position every time he's in there. DD developed a flat spot on one side of her head because she always held it the same way. Our doctor recommended putting a receiving blanket on one side or the other to force her to hold her head in different positions each time.<br><br>
She napped almost entirely in the swing for the first 8 months or so - she seems to have survived just fine. We have chosen not to get it out of the basement for DS because it takes up so much room, but it was a godsend for DD.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I remember wondering the same thing when my kiddos were infants. My boys loved the swing. When my youngest was about 4 months old I remember reading a response from a MDC mama that said "Don't kick a gift-swing in the mouth", lol. So true. I say don't stress it for a second and enjoy!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I really don't think all human babies can possibly have evolved a requirement for all their sleep to be that "motionless sleep" so many sleep experts talk about. I mean, I am sure humans have been putting babies in carriers pretty much since we first managed bipedal locomotion and I doubt everyone stood stock still as soon as their kids fell asleep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts