Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long is too long to be in labor after your water breaking? or does it only really matter if you start getting a a fever?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I know of a mama who experienced SROM at around 28 weeks, the membranes re-sealed, and she went on to full-term and homebirthed.<br><br><br>
Here is some info on the topic of SROM.<br>
This comes directly from :<br><a href="http://www.birthlove.com/" target="_blank">http://www.birthlove.com/</a><br><br><br>
Mary's Expectant Management of SROM<br>
"How do I 'manage' SROM [spontaneous rupture of the membranes- waters breaking] prelabour at term at home? If expectant ["wait and see"] management is chosen by the mother, I do NOTHING, no vaginal exams, and await events asking the woman to monitor her Temperature AND PULSE. I am perhaps a little obsessive about maternal pulses, but in my experience a rising pulse rate can often precede a rise in temp. If no signs of labour after 24 hours I would do a full blood count and C reactive protein and repeat this every 2 days. I would advise avoiding penetrative sex, and suggest showering rather than bathing.<br><br>
"I have a current client whose membranes ruptured spontaneously with a twin pregnancy at 28 weeks, she with truly amazing strength and fortitude coped with leaking liquor [water] until labour started spontaneously at 35 weeks." -Mary Cronk, Independent Midwife, United Kingdom<br><br><br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
Protocols for When Your Water Breaks Before Labor<br>
-by Gloria Lemay<br><br>
1. Drink plenty of fluids. Minimum: 8 glasses, spaced throughout the day. Purified water with lemon squeezed in it is good.<br><br>
2. Allow nothing in vagina. No fingers, no tampons, no oral-genital contact, no bath water, no swimming pool water, no speculum, no penis, nothing whatsoever!<br><br>
3. Wear something loose-fitting with no panties.<br><br>
4. If you are leaking and need something for sitting, use clean towels fresh out of a hot dryer.<br><br>
5. Take your temperature every 4 hours while you are awake. Normal range is 35.5 to 37.3 Degrees Centigrade or 96 to 99 Degrees Fahrenheit. If it goes above the upper ranges, drink some water, retake it and if your temperature remains up call your medical person. It could be a sign of infection.<br><br>
6. Take 250mg Vitamin C every 3 hours while you are awake. Oranges, grapefruit, kiwi fruit, red peppers are all good sources.<br><br>
7. No baths. Shower as much as you like.<br><br>
8. Eat foods that are unconstipating and easy to digest. Especially avoid foods with MSG or nitrates, such as pizza, Chinese food, or deli meats. These foods can make you vomit in the birth process.<br><br>
9. Be meticulous about toileting. Wipe from front to back, and wash hands carefully after.<br><br>
l0. If the water is colored green or brown (meconium), or if it has a bad smell (sign of infection), let your medical person know.<br><br>
If you want to know your baby is doing well, check the baby’s heart rate- have someone put his or her ear against your lower belly or listen through a toilet paper roll. The fetal heart rate should be 140-160 beats a minute. And to monitor the fetal movements in a day, start at 9 a.m. and count each time the baby kicks until 3 p.m. There should be l0 distinct movements (the Cardiff fetal movement test). Contact your medical person if you get less than 10 movements, or if you’re having problems assessing the fetal heart rate.<br><br>
Question to Gloria: "How long can I go after my waters have broken before birth?"<br><br>
"There is always more fluid being released to replace the amniotic waters. I once had a client with released membranes and water gushing out for 6 weeks. She gave birth on her due date to a healthy 7 1/2 pound girl. If the temperature of the Mom is normal, there is no reason to treat the mother/baby any differently than if the membranes are intact. The woman usually wants to drink extra fluids and should be encouraged to salt her food liberally."

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wouldn't worry as long as *nothing* enters the vagina and temp is o.k. I was in labor for 5 days (we're talking regular, timeable contractions) before transferring and water broke on day 3. I had no vag exams, no sex, etc. and there was no indication of infection more than 54 hours later. I did soak in the jacuzzi at home during that time, which is safe b/c the water will not enter (contrary to popular medical opinion). HTH!

·
Registered
154 Posts
You shouldn't have to worry too much, but please listen to your body and your mother instincts. A girl I know did not know that her water had broken and her son was born early and had an infection from that and didn't make it. This is not a scare tactic, but please just be careful and listen to your instincts if you think something is wrong. Good luck!<br>
Aprilynne

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I don't think there is any right answer......it's different for everyone. As mentioned, dont let any exams happen, no sex, no baths.......and you should be fine. With my son, my water broke over a day before he was BORN, and there was really no worry. I was leaking a TON so I just had to drink a lot to help replace the fluids.<br><br>
If the baby is fine and you are fine, then you can go until the baby comes out.<br><br>
However, MOST women, especially with their first do NOT experience breaking water. Most women's water breaks only AFTER labor begins.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my water broke with ds at the onset of labor and it GUSHED and gushed. it was quite comical to us as our mw's had reassured us it rarely happens. btw hard labor began within 4 hours.<br><br>
i read a birth story once where the mom labored for 4 days after her water breaking.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Most labors start within 24 hours of waters breaking<br>
concerns are that infection can happen<br>
GBS, BV and Trich are all implicated in causing PROM even around the due date<br>
So it is safer to not have anything enter the vagina because it can push external bacteria upward and I agree with the other protocols mentioned before and would include taking echineacea every 4hrs and using a peri-bottle with a tea/decoction of herbs like lavender, shepherd's purse, and uva ursi after you go to the bathroom or at least every 6 hrs as well and if you use toilet paper to use your own new roll that no one else uses. Change pads often.<br>
With all this said an infection can still be present, especially if it was the cause of the rupture in the first place. so most medical professionals are concerned not just because of some "rules" but because if labor doesn't happen with in the usual 24 hrs chances are higher something could be wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts