Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's now dh, myself, our 7 1/2 year old, our 5 year old and the baby. The 7yo is in a bed next to ours. The 5 yo is between dh and myself. The baby is between myself and a rail. I don't mind having them in there, to be honest, but I wonder if I should be encouraging the older 2 to move to their own room? I mean, at what point is it too long? I imagine I'm just second-guessing myself as usual, but I'm interested in hearing what other mamas think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
If everyone's fine with it, why change? I'm afraid that co-sleeping will be over to soon anyway! If you're not fine with it, maybe your 7 & 5 year old would like to share a bed? Or share with a pet?

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 8 yo and 6 yo still sleep with us some nights. Plus, we have a toddler in there as well. We start the older ones out in their beds in the room next to us, but if they ever don't feel comfortable with that we let them just go right into our bed. We don't really encourage them, per se, to sleep in their beds but we do let them know that they have their own space if they want it.

I think it does help that they share a room, and frequently sleep with each other so they aren't ever alone. It's very likely that you will find all 3 kids curled up in the bottom of their bunk beds together. LOL

I agree that co-sleeping won't last forever. Your kids will let you know when they are ready to stop. Just let them know that they have their own spaces (beds) and when they are ready to use them then that is ok.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I think college would be totally too long--and maybe a little uncomfortable with the roomies
Maybe make another space available for the older children then when they are ready they will try it out. Right now I agree with the pp who said they will leave the family bed soon enough and I would enjoy it as long as you can.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Mamas! I guess college would be too long.
I'll just leave things as they are right now and let it happen on its own.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I like No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers since it discusses creating a sibling bed. Obviously since everything is working well for you there really isn't a need, but the sibling bed is always an option.

Also, maybe make sure there is a private place where your older one could sleep if they wanted...my family shared a room (though not a bed) for sleeping when I was growing up and it was very difficult for me to ask for a private space (I was 12, and I REALLY wanted some privacy!). I'm sure some kids wouldn't have any trouble asking, but it would have made my life easier if I there was already a seperate space for me to sleep since asking made me feel like I was rejecting my family (crazy, but then, I was 12). Just a thought though!

·
Registered
694 Posts
My family coslept till I was 10 and my brother was 6. My parents put their foot down and finally said "enough!".
Since I was about 6, tho, I was put to bed in my room, then I'd go to my parents' bed sometime in the night.

Now, with my 18mo dd we have a toddler bed next to the big bed. I'll nurse her to sleep, then put her on the toddler bed. Whenever she wakes up to nurse I just move her into the big bed with dh and I.

Honestly, I think cosleeping is fine until either the kids or the parents aren't fine with it anymore.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I don't have an upper age limit. Like the other posters said, when you want them out or they want their own space is when it's time to stop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's between your dh, you and your dc. If you are ok w/ it why change. I still cosleep w/ my almost 6 yr. old and pretty soon we will have the baby in the bed too.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just to echo what everyone else has said... it will end on its own when the time is right, and when the time is right, you'll know.

I don't remember specifically how old I was when I stopped sleeping in my mom's bed, but most of my nighttime memories up until age 5 are of her bed, not the one in my room. Then we moved, and I think I started the night in my own bed, but almost always climbed in with my mom in the middle of the night. I have many wonderful memories of those early mornings when my little brother and I would wake up there with my mom, and we'd talk and giggle and cuddle, in no hurry to get up.
I don't remember an abrupt or clear "ending" to this... it was a very natural process... eventually I was sleeping only in my own bed, but whether that was at age 9, 10, 11, I have no idea.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have a problem with them being here in the bed. I just wish we had more room. Dh, the 5yo, me and the baby in a queen size bed is a bit of a tight squeeze. The 7yo is already in a bed by ours. I guess I need to figure out how to expand it a bit. Maybe I'll put a twin bed on the other side for the 5yo? I don't know. Honestly, I'm fine with them being in there. In fact, on the nights that dh is at the fire station I can't imagine NOT having them with me. It would be so lonely.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Rain was at least 5 the first time she slept by herself, and it was a rare occasion until was she 9 or so... and even then, she slept with me frequently until she was 12.

If she'd had a sibling to sleep with, she might have moved out earlier...

dar

1 - 14 of 14 Posts