Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd Nitara is on an elemental medical formula (she's 3 and has some GI and food allergy issues). Yesterday she ate some potato skins for the first time in ages. She ate them at noon and at 3:30 she pooped them out. Does this seem too fast? The elemental formula is similar to breastmilk as far as how broken down it is. It is even normal to have seeds in it. I'm wondering if it might be the formula that's causing this fast digestion, or if this is just too fast even on the formula. If you have a baby who is mostly breastfed and they eat some food, how fast does it pass through?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I don't have a baby who is mostly breastfed and eating some solids, but that does seem fast to me. Although I've seen things move through dd pretty quickly, too. I think alot of it has to do with the health of the gut, if she's breaking things down and absorbing them it will probably take longer. BUT potato skins, that's alot of fiber, she might have just passed them right on through. If you didn't see any signs of cramping or anything, it might not be a huge deal.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Normal bowel transit time ranges from as early as 12-14 hours to as long as 48 hours. So 3.5 hours seems to be too fast, but as a PP mentioned, it could just be a one-time thing.

You could retest with a different food as a marker (beets or kernel corn usually stand out) but don't use the same marker (potato skins) for at least a week.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks . . . I have suspected for years that she has some kind of motility problems. Sometimes she's nauseated and will vomit if fed too fast, and will even vomit hours after she's last been fed (the vomiting is getting better on the new medical formula). Other times it seems to move along quickly. She ranges from not having a BM for several days, to having very loose ones a couple of times a day. Nitara was born with very weak to no hunger feelings (goes through cycles). The GI had suggested that if the medical food does not help her motility and hunger that it might be a dysfunction with her neurological system.

She is limited with her diet right now but I will maybe give it a few days and try again. I think I'll start keeping a log for the doctor. She has prescribed Relgan for when Nitara's stomach is moving too slowly and it helps a lot with the nausea. I have not been using Reglan lately because she hasn't needed it. Whatever happened was not because of meds.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means, but have worked with people with g-tubes in the past.

There are studies with people with rapid transit due to shortened bowel/intestines (for whatever reason -usually surgically removed due to cancer or other condition). The concern is that the short transit time might not allow adequate absorption of nutrients/calories. A formula that is mainly protein and fat seems to be the choice for these folks, with around 72+ % absorption which is considered just fine. Diets higher in carbs adversely affect absorption of fluids, so they are not recommended for these folks.

So if your DD is taking an elemental formula, even with occasional rapid transit she is probably absorbing adequate nutrition. I would think. If she is adequately hydrated you can probably assume she is absorbing everything else as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.