Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or, should I feel like I am ripping him off?<br><br>
I found a real estate agent to show us rental properties and last Sunday he showed us two houses in the area we are looking. Both were pretty good although each had one big drawback (one squarefootage, the other a weird backyard). Since we <b>have to be out May 4th</b>, we put in an app on the first house and waited to hear. Monday he called and said that the first house was rented that morning by the listing agent and would we like to put in an app with the second house. I said yes, absolutely, and waited to hear. On Tuesday night he called and it turns out he is in a class all week so he left a call in for the listing agent of the second place and he was waiting to hear back. He said he would leave a voicemail for me. On Wednesday morning he sent us email saying there were a few applications on the place and the attached email from the listing agent said that she would run our credit and let us know by Wednesday.<br><br>
From this post, we obviously still haven't heard back (Friday). We did hear from the real estate guy and he said that the owner of the house (not the property management place) was being a PITA and the owner wanted to call DH's boss. It was 6 pm on a Friday that I found this out. So I said that means we probably won't know until Monday at the earliest, right? The real estate guy said that as long as there aren't any bankrupcies on our credit then we will probably get the place. But we will definitely be homeless on the 5th if the owner decides he doesn't like the color pen we used to fill out the app or whatever.<br><br>
So, looking online I found a house that is also in our price range, location, etc. and I called the listing agent directly because 1) I had mentioned this house to the wife/co-real-estate person and she said it was unavailable and 2) the real estate guy didn't seem to be as urgent about getting the final word about this house as we were. The listing agent said it was available and we made an appointment for tomorrow to see the place.<br><br>
So, if this other house looks to be in good condition and it meets all of our requirements, should we cut out our first real estate agent? He did front the $35 app fee because I forgot my checkbook which I obviously have to pay him back for. He is also a generally good guy but I don't feel like he understands how screwed we would be if the place falls through.<br><br>
I feel a little guilty about doing this and maybe I am expecting too much but being on hold for an entire week seems like a great deal of time. Am I expecting too much?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
You are not expecting too much. You need to take care of yourself and your family--if this other place looks great, go for it! You don't owe the agent anything except that $35. It doesn't sound like he was busting his buns for you anyhow. Ask yourself what's most important here...taking care of your agent's feelings or finding a place to live?<br><br>
Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,052 Posts
Losing clients is the way that agents learn to set their priorities and be professionals.<br><br>
If he wasn't going to be able to help you get a house by the time you have to move, he should've referred you to an agent that could.<br><br>
Good job finding a place on your own!
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top