Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS has been peeing and pooping pretty consistently on the potty every morning when we wake up now for about a week. The pees have been pretty consistent for a couple weeks now, so I am pretty sure he is catching on.

My question is: How long can they hold poop for? I put him on his potty yesterday morning and caught a pee, but no poop. I figured he was going to go in an hour or so in his diaper, but there was nothing all day other than pee.

Fast forward to this morning: I put him on the potty, and he peed, then pooped a... umm... log
then he leaned forward like he wasn't done, and then pooped again a breast fed baby pile of runny poop. (sorry about the graphics...)

Anyway, I am wondering if maybe he was holding it until he was on the potty? That would be exciting if it was the case, as I am not the biggest fan of poopy diapers, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE poop in a potty!!!! (Never thought I would write that in a million years!
)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well, its certainly possible. I know my Ds has held poop a darn long time when he's needed or wanted to. Once we caught on we made sure to offer a poop opportunity in the afternoon (after nap) and at bedtime if he didn't poop in the morning, his usual time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My dd is almost 10 months old and when she started having "log" poo, she definitely slowed down her pooping. Before any solid foods, she'd poop 3-5 times a day. Yeah. no kidding. Now, she poops every other day. (when she eats prunes, she'll go every day) It does take some encouraging. Before she was mobile, I'd take her after a waking up in the morning or after a nap and she'd pee and then poop and then pee and then poop again. It was crazy! Now that she's really active and we're on a mini potty strike, I have to offer her other places to poop.

for instance, yesterday we went for a drive and I just knew she had to poop so we pulled over so I could take her by some trees. She seems to really relax in nature. Anytime I'm noticing that she's tense and doesn't want to pee inside, I'll take her outdoors and she relaxes really fast.

So, I don't know if my dd is holding it or if she's just trying to work it down, so to speak. hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
My ds caught onto 'poop in the potty' pretty quickly...in fact the only 'accidents' with poop we ever had once we got started full time was when he was ill and had diareah -bless his little heart....
I would say he probably was holding it in. My son can hold it in for a good day or two.... why?...I dont know! lol But the first time I realised he was doing this was when I thought he was 'done' on the potty and offered to take him off (he used to take AGES on the potty - up to half an hour even...so somtimes if I knew - or thought - he was done I would encourage him to play something else! lol)...and he refused! Almost even tantrumed because of it!...So I left him...and about 5 minutes later he gave a poo just like the one describbed...the colours were even different! lmao I thought it was hilarious - I excidedly told my hubby! lmao...I said if anyone were to look at this, they would assume these poos were dont at different times - one was orange and the other one was green...and both different consisencies! (sorry tmi! lmao)...but thats when I realised that he could hold his poos! Sometimes I think they just like to see what their 'bodies can do' iyswim!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.