Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tylenol or motrin to a 23 month old? A fever between 101 and 103. I go back and forth on what I think. OTOH- fevers do a body good by forcing it to rest OTOH is it fair of me to make my child be in pain when I CAN do something (I HATE fevers myslef they make my skin hurt
: )

What do you do and why?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have given motrin and tylenol as soon at the fever went over 101 because I wanted my son to be comfortable and that way, he could get some rest. Tepid baths are also soothing, but the effects are shorter.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Between 101 and 103 I would let it go indefinately and keep them as comfortable as possible otherwise. Have them nurse as often as possible, load up on vitamin C, take warm baths with them...

If it went on for more than 2 or 3 days, I would call our pediatrician to check in (as I have a good ped who doesn't overreact so I trust her when she says to treat something).

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It would depend on how the child was acting. If he seemed miserable or in pain, I'd go ahead and give the medication. If he seemed to be tolerating it okay, I'd hold off. Also agree with pps re frequent nursing, warm baths, etc.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustgirl69 View Post
tylenol or motrin to a 23 month old? A fever between 101 and 103. I go back and forth on what I think. OTOH- fevers do a body good by forcing it to rest OTOH is it fair of me to make my child be in pain when I CAN do something (I HATE fevers myslef they make my skin hurt
: )

What do you do and why?
If a fever is left untreated it can spike and cause a febrile seizure. Not sure you want your child resting in that way.

When my kids were that small, the moment I found a fever I treated it with motrin or tylenol. It's a given, as far as I'm concerned. Headaches, body aches, shivers, all that stuff can and do accompany fever. Why would anyone want to allow their child to suffer through home remedies when an extremely safe OTC medication can alleviate the suffering in very short order?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I don't treat fevers specifically. I do treat symptoms homeopathically so my kids will be more comfortable. Suppressing fevers easily leads to longer and potentially more serious illness. The old school of thought says to keep the fever down, but even the medical journals are now publishing studies that say there is no risk for fever, no matter how high. If one of my children had a fever that went on and on, I would look into the underlying cause, but not worry about the fever itself.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.CEH3 View Post
If a fever is left untreated it can spike and cause a febrile seizure. Not sure you want your child resting in that way.
Treating fever does NOT reduce the chance of seizure. Febrile Seizures are caused by a rapid rise or drop in temp, not the temp itself. So actually medically treating a fever can INCREASE the chance of causing seizure.

-Angela

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
To the OP- I would try everything else to make my child comfortable. I don't medically treat fevers. I would consider using tylenol or motrin for pain or discomfort if no other measures worked.

For dd it's always been enough to take a warm bath when she runs a fever.

-Angela

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Treating fever does NOT reduce the chance of seizure. Febrile Seizures are caused by a rapid rise or drop in temp, not the temp itself. So actually medically treating a fever can INCREASE the chance of causing seizure.

-Angela
Yes, seizures are caused by dramatic changes in temperature, which is what I said:

"If a fever is left untreated it can spike and cause a febrile seizure"

I did not say treating the fever reduced the chances of seizure.

As to the rest of your post, cite your sources, please.

In my twenty years of motherhood I have 'NOT' heard nor experienced that medicating a child can 'INCREASE' the chance of causing seizure.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Why would anyone want to allow their child to suffer through home remedies when an extremely safe OTC medication can alleviate the suffering in very short order?
OTC meds being "safe" is a matter of opinion.....

I never treat fever with meds. In fact I don't use OTC stuff at all for anything either for my kids or myself. Ever. I would rather support the body so it can heal itself. There are many other things you can do to make a child more comfortable. Things that don't involve chemicals, dyes, sweetners, and a lot of other undesirable ingredients.

We do warm baths or cool compresses. Icy drinks, lots of care and nuturing, garlic oil on the soles of the feet, etc. Fevers rarely last long for us and illnesses pass quickly. We don't typically take temperatures either, we just go by the way a child is ACTING (which seems like a much better indicator anyway). If they seem like they are uncomfortable then we address the discomfort.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Fevers are not a condition that require treatment. They are an immune response, a symptom of a condition. The body can't work, and you can't know what is going on with your childs body, if you mask the symptoms.

I don't treat fevers, and luckily because I don't, I knew when my dd's fever went to 105 and was able to get her treatment for a blood infection. If I had masked the fever and suppressed it when it was 102, we would not of known and caught the infection early enough. I believe that alot of the complications from common diseases and colds/flu are from over-medicating and masking symptoms until they fester and the body cannot overcome them. I am in a medical program and my texts all say the same thing, in fact we just covered fever treatment (or lack there of
) in clinicals.

The funny thing is that we are taught this, but then when you go to the hospital/doc office they practically chase you down to get that 'fever reducer' into you, lol.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Yes, seizures are caused by dramatic changes in temperature, which is what I said:

"If a fever is left untreated it can spike and cause a febrile seizure"

I did not say treating the fever reduced the chances of seizure.

As to the rest of your post, cite your sources, please.

In my twenty years of motherhood I have 'NOT' heard nor experienced that medicating a child can 'INCREASE' the chance of causing seizure.
A fever, if treated, can fall (as medication kicks in) or rise (as medication wears off) and cause a febrile seizure.

Where are your sources?

-Angela

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:
OTC meds being "safe" is a matter of opinion.....
you say this like it's a bad thing.

Joking aside, and MelMel is speaking good sense so I must give her props, my girls always responded well to OTC meds for fever. Reducing the fever always made them more comfortable, and that's a good thing AFAIC.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Quote:

Why would anyone want to allow their child to suffer through home remedies when an extremely safe OTC medication can alleviate the suffering in very short order?
site your sources for the reasoning behind 'extremely safe' OTC medication

I have a few Pharmacology texts that go into detail the dangers of Acetaminophen, including liver and kidney damage from incorrect dosage, or long term use. Most medications ARE NOT tested on children, they simply take the dosage for an adult and adjust the weight with the recommended ml.

Here is a general FDA site devoted to risks of dosage and combining OTC's....this alone seems a ridiculous amount risk when natural, and safer options are available.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/otc_text.htm

...not that the FDA has a good track record for protecting and keeping the interests of the consumers as their #1 priority. They approve and declare something safe right before it gets recalled and is shown in practice to be extremely harmful.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MelMel View Post
site your sources for the reasoning behind 'extremely safe' OTC medication

I have a few Pharmacology texts that go into detail the dangers of Acetaminophen, including liver and kidney damage from incorrect dosage, or long term use. Most medications ARE NOT tested on children, they simply take the dosage for an adult and adjust the weight with the recommended ml.

Here is a general FDA site devoted to risks of dosage and combining OTC's....this alone seems a ridiculous amount risk when natural, and safer options are available.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/otc_text.htm

...not that the FDA has a good track record for protecting and keeping the interests of the consumers as their #1 priority. They approve and declare something safe right before it gets recalled and is shown in practice to be extremely harmful.
Mad props.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Another here who doesn't suppress fever. I would be concerned if we got really, really high though (like 105..happened to hubby with mono; 104 would probably get my attention too. My son typically runs 102 with ear infections). I would also be concerned with a fever that was hanging on for days without remitting and I didn't know why. Concerned as in finding out what is going on, though, not in suppressing it. It is hard but those OTC meds do have risks (not just immune system but allergic reactions and liver damage). I'm sure they do have their place but it is not usually when there is a fever imo. Usually there are alternatives for pain--for example I prefer to use ear drops for pain relief in ear infections. Febrile seizures would be scary. They run heavily in my family but my boys never had them. I was on the look-out. But my understanding is that the onset of fever (before giving the meds anyway) is the high risk time as is suddenly dropping a fever (meds are what would do that generally). So I'm not sure that they will help avoid febrile seizures (which are not harmful and are rare anyway) unless used almost before a fever starts??? Not sure. I can understand, though, why a parent whose child has had febrile seizures in the past would use fever reducers.
Edited to add: I used them before I knew what I know now. I think as parents we all make the best decisions we can with the information we have at the time. I try not to go back and second guess myself over things like that. I do try to keep learning though!

·
Registered
158 Posts
1. Always read and follow the Drug Facts label on your OTC medicine.
2. Know the "active ingredient" in your child's medicine. \
3. Give the right medicine, in the right amount, to your child.
4. Talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse to find out what mixes well and what doesn't.
5. Use the dosing tool that comes with the medicine, such as a dropper or a dosing cup.
6. Know the difference between a tablespoon (tbsp.) and a teaspoon (tsp.)
7. Know your child's weight.
8. Prevent a poison emergency by always using a child-resistant cap.
9. Store all medicines in a safe place.
10. Check the medicine three times.

Yup, this is all good sense and what I do.

I have read over the years that aceta. does cause damage, but is that not with prolonged use?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.