Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you nurse for each feeding? ds is 2 months old and he gets about 30 minutes on each side; however, he falls asleep during a lot of that. how do you know when they are getting enough?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but I think it totally varies according to child and where they are in their development. DD has never nursed for more than 5-10 minutes. That said, I had overactive let down and a supply that raged for the first 9 months, so she just sputtered and chugged a lot on one breast, and then an hour or 2 later did the same on the other breast. I think there is a book called "The Lexicon of Breastfeeding Styles" that talks about "the marathon nurser", "the gourmet", "the snacker", etc.

I would say that if you are offering and feeding on cue, you're set. If he looks good and acts content, he most likely is.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Here is a link to a great article on this
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/04enough_milk.html

My Dd was always a take her time kind of nurser, nursing 20min on each side at least every hour. Ds is/was the opposite, nursing 5 to 10 min on each side. He was also a sleepy babe and at 2 months still fell asleep at the breast at almost every feeding. Each babe is different.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Both of my recent babies nursed for 30 minutes on each side, every 2-3 hours, for the first 5 or 6 months. They each got a bit faster after that, and longer intervals between feedings. However, they still both nursed for quite a bit longer at every session than I observed other babies of their age doing. I never worried about them getting enough; their weight gain was always normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.