Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a financial mess. I've reached bottom and I'm working my way back... well...actually I think I'll have to scrape the bottom a bit more but I AM trying to get back.

But, I need some support. I have to go to court twice this month for passing bad checks. I've had to pay 2,000.00 on the checks (their original total being under 200.00) when court costs, etc were added in. I was arrested!!!!!! OMG...

I've made good on my checks. I still have 4 out there that I'm paying on.

This is as low as I'm going to go. But, has ANYONE ELSE BEEN WHERE I AM NOW??? And NOT killed themselves?

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Hugs, it can be tough. When we left the country to get our daughter we mailed out all the bills we would miss, we had family that were going to pick up our checks and deposit them for us. So we called the bank ahead of time and explained the situation, they said no problem. Checks didn't get in in time, bank tried calling (obviously we weren't home) and sent the checks back. We get home and figure all is good until like 2 weeks later we start getting calls. The fact that you are being proactive and wanting and trying to do right is great. I think alot of people just don't answer the phone to avoid it. Look at it this way you have no where to go but up.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I used to be horrible with checks. For some reason my bank always paid them thankfully. I'd then pay through the nose for the freaking bounce fees. My solution for this was to stop writing checks. If i don't have the cash, I can't get whatever. I think I am at my lowest financial point right now.

Hang in there mama. You'll get through this.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Our lowest:
we had three kids, one dog, and no home. We had come across the country with no money, and were living in a tent. We had a van that had died and overheated all the way across the country. It took Dh six weeks to get a job. Finally, we got to the point where we didn't have the money we needed to pay for our campground for the night. We went and took a drive, and ran into someone we had met at church (we had attended this church one time, and they had come to our campsite to have cocoa as well). She said, "God put it on my heart to give this to you." It was $20, which was exactly what we needed to pay for our camping that night.
But, that whole summer was really rough, never knowing if we were going to make it or not.
But, we go through it, go tout of California, and are doing okay now.

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
A long time ago when my oldest was really little... pawning items to get food money.

I also second not using checks anymore if it is a problem.

No checks = no bounced checks = no courts.

If it is a matter of bouncing because you have no food, you may want to look into various county/government assistance programs and food banks.

If it is rent or utility related, the same above applies and there are usually many one time rent/utility programs.

If it is a chronic condition... then the only options really are to save more and make more. Anyway you can.

Edited to add: If this is a long term thing related to depression, you will need to address that FIRST before you can make any progress.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My ex. and I lived in a van for a couple of months when we drove from town to town to see if there were any job prospects for him. We basically lived off my credit card untill it was maxed out (it took me years to pay that off). After that we stayed with his mom for a bit, then rented rooms off friends for a while. All in all it lasted 8mo.. It took a huge tole on our relationship, and I couldn't see him as someone who I could depend on, eventually we broke up and it's been without him that I have got back on my feet financially so to speak.
Financial burdens take their toll in many ways.
The most important thing is just to keep on keeping on, hopefully there is a foodbank in your area, I have never been "too proud" to make sure my daughter was fed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts