Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 32 weeks pg and i am concerned about the increased amount of BH contractions. Sometimes i have 1 per hour, but there are days when i have much more! (i have to tell you, they are never painful, no bleeding, they aren't became regular and stronger, my cervix is okay, no infection, so everything is all right, and i am on Mg-citrate and Terbutaline 100 mg)
I would like to read your experiences about BHs, please!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
For me, as long as they don't become regular(as in any closer than every 8 minutes for a period of time) and they aren't painful, I don't worry about them. I do hope that they are working on opening up my cervix so progress is faster for when I DO go into labour.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I had very few with Isaac- when I was carrying Alex, especially when he was still transverse, I would have BH 5 minutes apart for 2-3 hours at a time. What eventually helped, was sitting down with the midwife and figuring out that this was my body's way of trying to help him turn from a transverse to a cephalic presentation, and get his head down in preparation for labour- I had another bad spell a month later, which turned him from posterior to anterior, and then a smooth labour. First stage labour isn't only about dilating the cervix- often, the first stage labour contractions also shift the baby around so his exit will be more straightforward. Even if you're not dilating, you're getting good work done now to make his birth easier.
(I think of them as giving the baby a hug- is that too twee?)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am the BH contractions "Queen". With my first pregnancy I hardly had any, and same with DD #2; with DD #3 and DD #4 I had so many I lost count! They are really annoying, I must say, but I did go full-term with all my pregnancies with no complications (thank God). I don't know if they had anything to do with this, but all four of my labors were under 2 hours; I was NEVER dilated before labor started, but once it did, I just flew through it.

Flapjack is right; they do assist in positioning the baby for birth. Your uterus has actually been contracting since the beginning of pregnancy, you are just aware of them now. The uterus is practicing/training for the marathon of birth. I love the hugging analogy; I'll remember that in a few months!

The standard is 4-6 contractions per hour, but I'll tell you I had way more than that at times, they they'd completely disappear. As long as your cervix is not changing, those contractions are normal for you. Irritating, isn't it?
:

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Yeah, I was told that more than 4-6 in an hour was bad. With my 2nd ds, I called my doc to ask if it was normal b/c I'd been having them for HOURS. They weren't exactly regular, going anywhere from 2-10 min apart, but I was having close to 15-20 an hour for over 2 hours when I called my doc. She told me to drink a bunch of water and lie down. I told her I'd already done that (doesn't EVERYONE know that's what they're supposed to do? LOL!) so she told me to go into the hospital to be monitored since it was late afternnon and her office was closing. I went in, and the contrax stopped 2 min before they hooked me up to the monitor. I'd been having them for 3 or 4 hours at that point. The nurses just laughed and told me not to feel stupid, it happens all the time. They checked my cervix and while it was soft and a little effaced, it wasn't dialated at all. I think I was around 32 weeks. From that point on, that happened to me pretty frequently, but I figured if the contrax weren't hurting then it wasn't anything to worry about. They were strong and uncomfortable, but not painful. I had ds at 38 weeks. I was at 9cm when I got to the hospital 1.5 hours after waking up w/ painful contrax.

Now my ? is is there a connection between having fast labors and having a uterus that exercised a lot w/ strong bh? LOL!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hi ya! Hang in there mama!

I am just over 35 weeks. Around 31 - 34 weeks I was having BH pretty regularly. My did get painful and the only relief I could get was to get down on the floor on all fours and do sort of a cat pose, arching and un-arching my back. I too would prop the front of my body on the sofa with my kneeds on the floor and DS (20 months) and DH would both rub my back for me.

My were prety frequent, long lasting and INTENSE.

My dr said to drink one liter of Gatorade, take 2 Tylenol (if needed) and lay down. For some reason the Gataorade helped more than the water.
I got a quicker and longer lasting relief.

Staying EXTREMELY hydrated with lots of teas, water and Gatorade has really helped to lessen the frequency.

For about a week now, we have been having the "real thing" contractions and I am just trying the same methods + assuring lots of rest to keep him a bakin' for at least 3 more weeks

Good luck and let us know what works for you!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have found connection between contractions and the weather. Before rainy days or thunderstorms contractions come frequently. When the weather is sunny and warm (like today), nothing happens and my little girl is excercising in my relaxed uterus.

Quote:
Staying EXTREMELY hydrated with lots of teas, water and Gatorade has really helped to lessen the frequency.
you are right, drinking tons of water really helps.

Quote:
is there a connection between having fast labors and having a uterus that exercised a lot w/ strong bh?
well, i hope so!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by clavicula
i have to tell you, they are never painful, no bleeding, they aren't became regular and stronger, my cervix is okay, no infection
I had my 32 week appointment yesterday and basically asked this same question. I get BH pretty frequently and they seem to be getting stronger (with a lot of pressure) and my OB asked if I had any unusual discharge, bloody show, etc - no to all those. I won't have an internal check until July 11th, but with my DD at 36 weeks I was 2cm and starting to efface and had her at 38 weeks. I also had a lot of BH with her and labor was 3.5 hours long with her! I'm hoping these really are "practice" contractions and getting my body ready to birth this babe.

So all that to say I'm in the same boat and my OB said they are normal!

Michelle

·
Registered
136 Posts
I get tons of them, sometimes 5 minutes apart for hours and hours. I'm 32 weeks now. Reading the other posts about positioning, I would agree personally. They were when he was transverse and my body was probably trying to move him along. He is head down for the minute and I don't have any at all. They also come in spurts of hundreds of them in a day and then none for a couple weeks.

Liv, you are on Terbutaline ... have they already diagnosed you with preterm labor or at high risk? If that is the case, your situation may be very different from the average and your midwife or doctor would know your particular situation better.

Tanya

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Flapjack--

THank you!!!!! I think that is *exactly* what went on with me earlier this week. I am pretty sure the baby was (is?) transverse and I had several BH in a row.

Wow, I am so glad you mentioned this.

hh

·
Registered
448 Posts
my only concern is that you are on terbutaline already? I assume for PTL? If so I would carefully moniter and have your dr or midwife make sure your cervix isn't changing. With my first I would sometimes have many in an hour, though they were never really "regular" But they were changing my cervix and at 32 weeks I was 100% effaced and 3 cm dialated....needless to say baby came early. So, I am one to err on the side of caution, and if you have doubts have someone make sure...

Maria

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey,

I went my cervix checked and it is okay, doc said it is not necessary to stay on Terbutaline, but if it makes me safe then go on, it is not harmful for the baby.
Baby is kicking and growing, no discharge, so i am pretty sure this amount of BH gonna be okay for me, i hope you agree with me ladies! And it is week 33!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.