Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so for first two babies I used disposables.
: This time around, I'm using wool and cotton. I just don't know, though, how many sets of breastpads and how many PP pads is enough???

So . . . how many do you have? How many is enough?

TIA!
Jen

·
Registered
457 Posts
I totally misread your post, Spark, and thought you were saying to use PFs for breast pads. hahahaha! I was thinking, what the heck is she talking about?!?!?! I'm not going out with a diaper in my bra!!!!

Time to get off MDC and get some sleep!

PS- I only "have" 3 pairs of breast pads right now--they're in the mail --and i know it's not enough. But I want to try out a few before buying too much.
Kiran

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
i'm getting a pack of 12 disposibles for right after and probably the next day, then switching to infant prefolds until the flow slows down enough for me to switch to mama cloth-- i have two holders with 2 snap-ins each that i got from esbaby.net and 2 regular glad rags; for the trickles at the end i have some lunapads panty liners.
i don't have ANY breastpads at this point, though. i really want to use cloth this time around, but i had such trouble last time-- i'm a super-soaker and would leak right through any cloth pad immediatly. i used lansinoh pads until i stopped leaking, but would really rather find cloth this time-- somethng that doesn't break the bank!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Good thread, I was wondering the same thing. I used disposable breast pads with my first two, and plan on using cloth this time. I went through A LOT of disposables with first two, I'm talking like one of those big boxes of over 100 in a couple of days. I was a super soaker/leaker. I'd go through about 6 per nursing. The boob the baby wasn't feeding on would leak and leak leak, so I'd have to switch out pads. Plus the pads between nursings.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Breastpads- I only have one set of cloth so far. I'm the same as the other poster, I am such a super-soaker when my milk lets down, it's HARD to do cloth, it just can't stand up to the quantity. But....I hadn't know the joys of wool back when I had my last, so I'm going to try a few wool ones and see if they work before I resort to disposables. I hear ya about breaking the bank! Hopefully, I can just make them myself.
For mama pads, I'm making them and have already started. For the first day or 2, I will probably do disposable because of the mass quantity of blood, but ONLY in that first day or 2. I made some WindPro bases and will do Hemp/Fleece snap on pads with them. I'm hoping to get about 18-24 made up before the baby gets here of the pads. I've already cut and serged about 6-8 bases which IMO will be enough. With that style pad, I expect to change the base every 3-5 changes of the pads, so hopefully only 2-3 bases a day.
I do have one Hidden Pearl Creations PostPartum pad, and it looks awesome, I just can't justify spending money on pads when I can make them out of the scraps that I already have from diapers!

ETA: I also noticed that my Kissaluvs Super Boosters are almost the exact same size as a postpartum pad, if it comes to it, I'll stick those babies in my undies! I have a TON of them. I had a website that I closed down, and I literally have about 60!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:
I'd go through about 6 per nursing. The boob the baby wasn't feeding on would leak and leak leak, so I'd have to switch out pads
You know what I do to combat that?.....when I nurse, I grab a prefold and stick it around the other boob (or a towel if a prefold isn't handy)!!! Of course, it doesn't work in public, but 99% of my nursing in the early weeks is at home anyway.
My poor babes, when I nurse at night laying down, the other boob will drown them if I don't take drastic measures!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Glad to see I am not alone! I am a super soaker too, but only on the right side, and that one is somewhat smaller than the other, strange huh? I would say I have maybe 8 pair breast pads. I had 6 mama pads before I was pregnant, but no period yet, exclusive bfing, so when it comes back, I will need to get more.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I have 6 hemp PP pads, and tons and tons of infant prefolds. I plan on buying a box of depends for the first day after the birth, since I've heard they are more comfy than pads. How embarrassing that shopping trip will be! I'll have to use the self-checkout lane.
I bought a bunch of cotton nursing pads last time, and since I also leak insane amounts (I would hold a glass over the breast I wasn't nursing on when we were home, and would get 6-8 oz. each time!), they were totally worthless. I switched to disposables after a week and will most likely use them again, although I plan on giving wool a shot, and maybe some of those lily pad plastic things. I have one box of disposables so far, but will need a lot more.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I'm a super soaker too and have to wear breastpads the entire first year. LOL Anyways, the plain cotton or hemp wont work for me so I only use those for night or backup. Or like when I use lansinoh and dont want to ruin my good ones. LOL The Fuzzibunz MOE ones with PUL outer work AWESOME. Granted they arent all natural but at least they are reusable and not throw away. I got mine at the fuzzibunzstore for 12.95 with free shipping for 3 pair. (Make sure you choose leakproof, they are a dollar more and you have to use the drop down menu to change it.)

Anyways, I have 6 pairs of those (last time I only had 3 pairs but I was constantly rummaging the laundry piles looking for them so this time I got more.) I have 12 of the crappy cotton ones as backup. I just ordered 3 pairs of wool ones too that I havent gotten yet.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Re mamapads......I have probably 20 total. My favs are the Happy Heinys PUL outer ones because they dont leak. For night I like the Lizs Cloth Hemp ones. In my birth kit came a huge pack of disposable ones too so I will probably use those the first few days when bleeding is heavier.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by amelissam
My poor babes, when I nurse at night laying down, the other boob will drown them if I don't take drastic measures!!!

I know what ya mean! With my first two, I used kitchen towels on the breast that wasn't nursing (whether sitting up or laying down), and I'll probably do that or prefolds again. The breast pads will be for between feedings, for sure, or I'd need waaaaayyyyy too many.

Spark sent me the Luxe cashmere breast pads in my baby shower package, and I would
to have my whole breast pad stash out of those, but don't think it's doable money-wise. I might be able to pick up a couple more pair of those, but I'll have to sew the rest from scraps.

Same with mamacloth -- they'll be sewn from scraps, too. There's just soooo many patterns out there on the web, and I've never actually seen one of these babies in person, so I'm having trouble deciding what style to go with, never mind how many to make. (I do plan to use disposables for the first two days or so, as well)

So is the consensus that about a dozen pairs of breast pads would be good?

And mamacloth, maybe about 2 dozen?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.