Mothering Forum banner

How many calories, fat, protein, ect should I eat??

657 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  mamaley
I need some help, please!

I am trying to figure out how many calories, grams of fat, and protein and carbs I should eat everyday. I eat very healthy, but am about 50 lbs overweight. I walk between 1 and 3 miles almost every day, plus just started doing a step machine for 30 min every morning for the last week. I found this cool program, fitday, and have used it for the last week. I don't think I am getting enough calories, but am eating too many grams of fat. My average for the last week was just under 1100 calories and 28 grams of fat. I did not realize I was eating so little. I think this is why I have not lost any weight for the last year.

I am nursing my 13 month old and my supply seems fine.

I have spent 2 days looking for what my nutrient requirements should be, but have found lots of conflicting info.

What are some good nutrient dense foods I can eat?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
No one can help?

Please
See less See more
I can't offer advice but i have the exact same problem down to the tee. What exactly do you usually eat? I eat healthy and exercise (walk,learning to bellydance) and I am still overweight. I usually eat a bowl of old fashioned oatmeal for breakfast salad for lunch and veggie snacks and a black bean and veggie patty sub for dinner and I am really starting to get depressed I am also nursing ALOT maybe we can put our heads together on this one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by zebulun.sunbeam
a black bean and veggie patty sub for dinner .
What's this? Homemade or premade? Sounds yummy.

As for the nutrition totals... I can't help either. It seems like there IS a lot of advice out there. Number of calories will be effected by present weight, exercise level, the fact that you are nusing, etc. I've also seen that some people can eat more than others and still lose weight. Some people can eat dairy and others can't lose a pound if they do. There seem to be so many variables that it would be tough to give a set formula. Maybe you could try experimenting a bit? Increase calories by eating MORE dark greens, veggies, fruit, and whole grains and cut back on fat a little. I've also heard that it is tough for some nursing mammas to lose because their bodies want to hang on to everything. Best wishes.
Thanks,
I am definatly one of those that keep on weight untill I stop nursing, but I would like to try to slowly lose some in the next year or two when the babe is still nursing.

I spent lots of time last week looking through research journals and lots of nutrition advice. Here is what I found - nursing mothers need to eat at the very least 1200-1800 calories (this varies depending on where it comes from). you need atleast 20% of your calories to come from fat and at least 62 grams of protein.

My personal goals are about 1300-1400 calories, 30 grams of fat and more than 62 grams of protein.

I did this for the last 4 days and I lost 3 lbs!!!!!!

As for what I eat. I drink a big glass of water first thing in the morning and do about 30 min on my step machine. Then I have a piece of homemade whole wheat bread with cinnamon sugar on it and a glass or 2 of tea. For luncg I have a small portion of leftovers, I have a fruit or veggie snack in the afternoon (or high protein, if I have not had much by then). For dinner, I always have a big salad or veggie portion first, then we usually have meat and a complex carb. I do a lot with beans because then have a lot of protein.

One of my problems, is that we do Feingold, which is no atrificial colors, flavors, or preservitives, which cutts out most "low-fat" foods. So we use whole milk, full fat cream cheese, sour cream, snacks, ect. Using the fitday program has really helped me to see exactly what I have eaten and what else I need to eat for the day and the averages over the week/month.
See less See more
I honestly don't think you are eating enough!
Quote:

Originally Posted by mishelly
I honestly don't think you are eating enough!
Well, that is my thought. Do you have any suggestions?
www.sparkpeople.com is like fitday,but i like it better. it tells you how many calories, fat grams, carbs and protein you need in a day. Is that what you're looking for?
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaley
www.sparkpeople.com is like fitday,but i like it better. it tells you how many calories, fat grams, carbs and protein you need in a day. Is that what you're looking for?
I went to sparkpeople and it says it can not tell nutrient requirments for preg or BF moms, but go to their sister site. I went there, but it will only tell you nut req for preg, says it will not tell for bf. Did you see/do something different?
look at the range it gives you on Babyfit for your pregnancy requirements, then add 200 on top of that for breastfeeding - I just found that info yesterday - the range they give you on babyfit is for pregnancy (which is 300 above your baseline calories for when you are not pregnant or nursing) - so add 200 onto the babyfit range for 500 calories above baseline

ex: if babyfit says you need 1800-2100 calories for pregnancy, you would eat 2000-2300 for nursing - I think that with this range, you are looking at about 1/2 lb loss per week (I could be wrong) - I know you want faster, but this is the info I got from people on that site.

Good luck!
Oops, sorry. I forgot about the breastfeeding part, I just got excited about linking you to sparkpeople.
I'd just add in the calories myself.
See less See more
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.