Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have #3 on the way,and I would like to de-clutter a bit.So, how many "outfits"-jeans and a t-shirt counts as one, does a kid really need?3,5,7,10?How many back-ups?<br>
And how many toys?3,5,7,10?<br>
For that matter how many do I need?Yarg.<br>
I was going to do a poll,but I'd have to do 3 seperate ones...<br>
What do you think?What do you/have you done?

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I think how many outfits they need depends a little on how often you do laundry and what your weather is like, and also what activities they do. For instance, I do laundry almost every day- so really my kids could get away with 3 outifts for each season. However, if your kids went to school- you would probably want at least 6 outfits so that they didn't repeat outfits during the week, you know?<br>
As for toys- I think that as long as they kid can get outside and play regularly, and have access to nature (sticks, rocks, streams, flowers, ets) then only one toy is really necessary.<br>
Of course- we have MUCh more of both clothes and toys LOL

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There was a thread a while ago asking if you could only pick 3 toys what would they be. Check the archives, it was really interesting because when I thought about it there were about 3 toys that my son plays with all the time. Train set, tractor set, tricycle. Maybe I'm cheating a little because the trains and tractors are sets but he has been fascinated with hitching things together since he was a baby. You could throw in a couple of puzzles for a rainy day when the 3 get a little boring (I wish we had a toy library!). I don't think babies need any toys, household items do just fine.<br><br>
As for clothes, as krisday said, it depends on how often you do laundry. I found with a newborn I needed allot because his diapers always leaked and I was too swamped to do laundry everyday.<br><br>
I'm trying to go through his things regularly and really look at what he plays with and what he wears, and weed out the excess.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
We had way too much stuff- my sister dropped off bags of outgrown baby toys when my second child was born- my ds never played with any of it. We had an exersaucer that had been passed around and came back to us- he was interested in that for 2 days at 3 1/2 months that was it- he mostly played with household items and his sister. The baby toys were boring to him. (We didn't have anything with batteries or flashing lights- except one thing from my sister that played a lullaby).<br><br>
This time my dipes didn'l leak so we needed way fewer clothes than with my first. I had bags of clothes from my sister but used only a few outfits rotated. he also didn't spit up, where my first did and we needed LOTS of clothes...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hmmm, I have no idea how many outfits a kid needs. My kids have ALOT more clothes than they actually wear (mostly gifts and hand-me-downs). I would guess 5-8 outfits would be plenty.<br><br>
Toys? Hmmm, I would think in terms of type of toy and age of kid. I like for me 4 year old to play with: imaginative toys (farm, cars, castle), dress up clothes and hats, art supplies, playdough, puzzles, counting and matching games, blocks, dolls or stuffed animals, riding toy/ bike, balls, sandbox/digging stuff... I would not say that he NEEDS any of them, but they certainly help him play and learn. Baby only needs things to look at and grab and stuff that is safe to go in the mouth.<br><br>
That said, my kids have WAY TOO MUCH STUFF! But I already knew that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts